Help Identifying my first wood burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The temps are in the single digits right now , with an alberta clipper coming at us tonight. Gonna be a VERY cold week ! I'd list my Aunt Sarah as priceless. LOL . I'm hopin the old girl keeps up. So far she's keeping the house at a nice 70 and not chewing up any more wood than normal .

The temps are in the single digits right now , with an alberta clipper coming at us tonight. Gonna be a VERY cold week ! I'd list my Aunt Sarah as priceless. LOL . I'm hopin the old girl keeps up. So far she's keeping the house at a nice 70 and not chewing up any more wood than normal .

It's 1 degree above zero here in Savage, MN but I don't have the woodstove fired up just yet. I'm saving my firewood for a cold spell.
:p

just found the original owner's manual to our Aunt Sarah, model AS-3. It is keeping me warm right now, and has since the mid 80's. Great stove! A few tips for the new owner : don't use a fire grate, just put a bit of paper and kindling on the bottom of the fire box to get it going, then add wood. Clean the ashes out, don't let them get over 4 inches. The doors are brass and clean up nicely with brass cleaner. The glass is easy to clean with spray on oven cleaner, when cold. Check the heat exchanger pipes at least once a month. Clean off any buildup in excess of 1/8 inch. Don't build a raging fire, or burn cardboard and paper refuse ~ the excessive heat can damage the sheet metal and the glass. Once a year in the summer, I give the outside a good cleaning and then apply stoveblack to the metal. This stove should keep you warm for many years!
I have the original manual if any one needs a copy, send me a message and I'll copy and mail, or perhaps scan it.

If you can scan it I will post it to a wiki article for others.

just found the original owner's manual to our Aunt Sarah, model AS-3. It is keeping me warm right now, and has since the mid 80's. Great stove! A few tips for the new owner : don't use a fire grate, just put a bit of paper and kindling on the bottom of the fire box to get it going, then add wood. Clean the ashes out, don't let them get over 4 inches. The doors are brass and clean up nicely with brass cleaner. The glass is easy to clean with spray on oven cleaner, when cold. Check the heat exchanger pipes at least once a month. Clean off any buildup in excess of 1/8 inch. Don't build a raging fire, or burn cardboard and paper refuse ~ the excessive heat can damage the sheet metal and the glass. Once a year in the summer, I give the outside a good cleaning and then apply stoveblack to the metal. This stove should keep you warm for many years!
I have the original manual if any one needs a copy, send me a message and I'll copy and mail, or perhaps scan it.
I just purchased an aunt Sarah today, would love to have the manual, I'm gonna message you

I have an Aunt Sarah wood burner purchased in about 1985 and it looks like the one pictured in comment #1 except no legs, just solid to the floor. I need new glass insulation and can't find the kind that is currently on the doors. Any ideas where I can purchase some? Can't find it in any retail stores.

Would love a copy bhodge101@hotmail, jus signed up for this site after searching for hours on the manual, we've had our stove for years an finally put it to use

I'm happy to hear there's still a few of these old girls going. We are on our fourth year in this house with aunt Sarah and we've stayed nice and toasty. I do have to clean the glass once a week...not a big deal. All night fires seem out of my grasp, but there's always coals in the morning, so she takes right off again. So far so good with aunt Sarah!

I know this a old thread but I'm hoping someone can help with what replacement gasket I should use on my AS-2 doors? Gaskets are shot and need to be replaced. I'm guessing it's a flat gasket and not a standard round rope style?

I ended up buying/trying this flat gasket and it seems to make a great tight seal.

Loving the warmth this burner puts out!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20181110_164503.jpg
    IMG_20181110_164503.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20181110-164138.png
    Screenshot_20181110-164138.png
    250.9 KB · Views: 135