Help Identifying Older potbelly stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fletcher22202

Dec 7, 2021
North Idaho
So this is totally for fun, but my friend bought this little guy at an auction recently, and it looks kind of cool, like it might have a bit of history. I began researching it, but could not find any real information online. Best I could find was it was an army coal/wood stove. Seems like they were somewhat popular.
Mostly, I am just wondering if anyone knows a bit more about them, year range, manufacturer, anything really.
Or, anybody have any stories, remember seeing them somewhere, I'm grasping at straws here.
Here are the best photos I could find off google, I don't have access to his stove, but it is the same stove.

antique-vintage-cast-iron-pot-belly_1_ca59e2e5c67dd2527dbb437d3f10bf89.jpgc7bbe3a0de73e04ba94ed4caf2d2f0e0--coal-stove-stoves.jpge42db93b5c9bed2960279399f23c5c6d.jpg

Reactions: ispinwool
Is there anything you're specificly looking for? It's more of a coal stove than a wood stove. Wood is frustrating to burn in these. It doesn't hold much wood, so you end up reloading often. You're going to need lots of clearance due to it being unlisted. Itd probably be best used as a side table.

Look around the entire stove for something indicating the foundry or country of manufacture. This may be a Taiwan replica.

Is there anything you're specificly looking for? It's more of a coal stove than a wood stove. Wood is frustrating to burn in these. It doesn't hold much wood, so you end up reloading often. You're going to need lots of clearance due to it being unlisted. Itd probably be best used as a side table.
The age and the manufacturer. These numbers were on the side of the door. Thanks

7BEE8E43-0440-4633-8813-78CAC795E534.jpeg

There were hundreds of manufacturers of potbelly stoves and some foundries still make them. Searching images might get you the manufacturer. Other clues to age are patent dates and the type of fasteners used. For example, Phillips head screws weren't used in 1850.

Usually, a manufacturer is not shy about casting their foundry name on a stove. The empty banner on the stove door makes it look like this was a generic model where the reseller could add their company name there. It might be a memorial stove made around 1976 to commemorate the 1776 revolution. Atlanta Stove was still making these cannon stoves back then.