Help identifying stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

facemire21

Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2010
Frederick MD
Hello,

This is my first post. I was wondering if anyone new the exact model of this stove insert. I believe its made by (S-R-D) Sierra - Dominion - Riteway.

All I have with is the installation guide that says it's a Dominion. I've been looking all over for operating instructions and suggested operating temperatures. I've had two fires in it since the liner install (6"x18' insulated) and was seeking a little more information.

ry=400.jpg

Upon more investigation I have found that this is a Dominion 005 woods stove insert. I pulled to out to install a damper block off and found a serial tag that was painted over. And I believe its an EPA Cat stove. I thought the damper/ bypass acted just as a damper.

My manual says that stoves purchased out of the states did not have a catalytic converter in it but could be purchased as a kit. I can see in the the top of the stove where it should be but it is missing.

Can I continue to burn with No cat or should i buy one. Until then if i can burn should i have the bypass open or closed?

Thanks

i dont keep the wood on the hearth anymore!

A cat in that stove should make it burn slower and cleaner..I say should because I dont have knowledge of that specific model. If you burn it with full loads and the bypass open, you could risk overheating something. If you burn with full loads and closed, you may gunk up the area where the cat is supposed to be sitting in.

Riteway-Dominion was the second incarnation of Sierra Manufacturing down in Harrisonburg, VA. Long gone. All of the rights and stuff now belong to a company in California. If I remember correctly available cats for that stove run around two hundred bucks.

That stove looks so much like my old Sierra non-cat insert that looking at it is like old home week.

BrotherBart said:
Riteway-Dominion was the second incarnation of Sierra Manufacturing down in Harrisonburg, VA. Long gone. All of the rights and stuff now belong to a company in California. If I remember correctly available cats for that stove run around two hundred bucks.

That stove looks so much like my old Sierra non-cat insert that looking at it is like old home week.

Do you know the company name?

With the bypass closed i'm reading 650F temps on my appliance adapter, I think i need that catalytic combuster

Status
Not open for further replies.