Help ID'ing an older Stihl Top Handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJF1313

Oct 25, 2009
Pine Barrons, L.I., NY
Good afternoon all.

I was given this saw some time ago, and it finally resurfaced after a "mini" clean out of the shop.
There is no nothing on this saw - model, serial numbers, production date anything that could give me a clue, except it has the older Stihl logo on the recoil half of the case, and a Stihl bar - but the bar doesn't mean anything.

What I do know, it needs a recoil spring (gone); air filter + housing (gone); spark plug (gone & I don't know what type/size); hardware to hold the 2 half together (gone - but easily substituted); BUT has about 110 PSI of compression and spark.

I'm hoping that someone here knows something about it. I know I could go over to AS, but you guys and gals here make me feel more comfortable than those over there.

Thanks in advance,
P.J.

P.S. - Just a note - that is an 18" ruler for reference.

Attachments

• 100_0030.jpg
    100_0030.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_0032.jpg
    100_0032.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 100_0033.jpg
    100_0033.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 100_0034.jpg
    100_0034.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 188
020t me thinks

Thanks Jay!

Now that I have an idea what the heck it is, do, you personally, think it's worth the $$$ to bring it back to life, or should I just "show case" it? I already have the Echo for climbing and it's fairly cooperative. But, than again, it is a Stihl, and an all-metal, older one; and to decommission it to a shelf is a sin in itself !!

I have the same one at my cabin. The old girl still starts on the 3 or 4th pull even though she only gets fired up once a year to run for a bit and replace the fuel in it. (it's for emergency purposes only).

I'd say it depends on what it needs. I use it for trimming small trees that pop up in the huckleberry bushes on our property, taking down beech whips for making small game habitat, limbing, etc.

pen

So, from my tally, it's 2.5 to get her up again (.5 from me, Jay and Pen) :)

I guess it's to the bay or AS to atleast get the recoil spring to get a real fire from it.
I know someone posted a site, not long ago, of specs of older saws; but I can't recall. That's where I got the specs for the ole 770 and the 360 from. This time, I will bookmark it! (at least I'll know the plug type and gap, and cc's and can go from there)

Thanks again for you guys help.

Should be a nice saw even in a production type setting if all works its still worth 250.00 range or better depending on how the pistion cylinder look, and cleaner up! Its a very HOT limbing saw! Top of the line. Check ebay for parts list. Can be tough to work on if your not use to small parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.