Help ID'ing Free Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeDawg11

Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Cheshire, CT
www.facebook.com
Greetings from CT where we're "enjoying" temps in the 60's today.

Attached are some photos of free wood I've acquired over the past 6 months.

I'm having trouble identifying the wood, especially the rounds with the thick, knobby bark. Any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• Wood ID 001.jpg
    Wood ID 001.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 383
  • Wood ID 0003.jpg
    Wood ID 0003.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 387
  • Wood ID 005.jpg
    Wood ID 005.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 371
  • Wood ID 006.jpg
    Wood ID 006.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 375
  • Wood ID 007.jpg
    Wood ID 007.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 364
  • Wood ID 004.jpg
    Wood ID 004.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 364
  • Wood ID 008.jpg
    Wood ID 008.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 369
The WoodButcher loves Black Birch (Sweet Birch) which is pics 1,3,4,7
Smells like birch beer eh?

WB

Jags: Thanks for the IDs -- The rounds in Pic #5 (Maple, the one closer to the bottom with a little moss on the bark) are HORRENDOUS to split. Is Maple always that tough? Using an 8lb maul, 6lb maul, AND Fiskars, I can't get a good clean split out of them. The tree was taken down in June of this year -- maybe the rounds need to dry out longer?

Butcher: You are exactly right -- when I first picked up the logs, my yard smelled like birch beer for a good month. Now I get whiffs every time I split. Brings back memories of pizza and Foxon Park Birch Beer on Wooster Street when I was a kid. How is Black Birch for burning? The trees were taken down this past summer, so I was planning on using the splits next year.

LukeDawg11 said:
Jags: Thanks for the IDs -- The rounds in Pic #5 (Maple, the one closer to the bottom with a little moss on the bark) are HORRENDOUS to split. Is Maple always that tough? Using an 8lb maul, 6lb maul, AND Fiskars, I can't get a good clean split out of them. The tree was taken down in June of this year -- maybe the rounds need to dry out longer?

Hmmm.... interesting. Maple is not typically on the "tough to split" list. And it doesn't have the bark for elm. I could be off on that one. Someone else will pipe up.

I think maybe the first pic is Yellow Birch, the second WHite Oak, then birches and I agree maybe a maple in pic 5. Maple can be tough to split is you have crotches or an unusually knotty or twisted maple. I cut a Red Maple here in my yard that was about 50% tough to split, about 50% normal easy-splitting like a Red Maple should be.

Looks like all hardwood to me nice mix as well....

That mossy piece in the 2nd picture is a piece split from the rounds shown in #5. Here's another pic of more splits from those rounds -- specifically the knobby barked pieces on top.

Attachments

• Wood ID 009.jpg
    Wood ID 009.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 314
Butcher, The black (sweet) birch I am familar with kind of looks like cherry bark.

Most all the maple I have had splits pretty easy other than the normal tough crotch pieces. Also the real heavy bark makes me think it might be something else but not sure what.

Black birch smells like peppermint, white birch like root beer or medicine, if that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.