HELP! Installing a hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dippin_kodiak

Hearth Supporter
Nov 6, 2009
SC
First let me say I'm new on this site......I've learned quite a bit already.

I need some advice. I just bought a new wood burning stove, and I’m planning to extend the hearth from what is currently in front of my fireplace.

Here’s the current layout. Wood floors underneath the hearth (40 x 20 x flush with floor). So what I would like to do is this. I need to get the hearth to be 3in tall so please tell me if this will work. I don’t want to start any fires underneath the stove!

Buy enough 2” tall bricks to cover the current hearth, add a 0.5” thick sheet of Durock over the bricks, then adhere 0.5” thick slate (1ft square pieces). That will get me to the 3in height I need. The question I have is this…..there’s no chance the heat will go through the slate, durock and brick spaces (about 3” apart) that it could start a fire on the wood floors below, is there? I’m learning the “handy man” techniques so any advice will be appreciated.

Welcome to the Hearth!

You gotta tell us what kinda "new wood burning stove" you bought there, friend :) That new stove may or may not have an R-value requirement for the hearth. Following that requirement would be of paramount interest in your following actions.

Heat will most certainly translate quite readily thru slate, Durock, and brick. They all conduct and store heat quite well. Wood floors need substantially more protection in some instances.

So tell us whatcha got, and we can help, I'm sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.