Help..is my wood ready? FIL tried to help...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

Last fall I cut 4 cords of sugar maple in 16 inch lengths for the winter of 2011-2011. I ended up splitting it in April of this past spring.

Earlier today my FIL wanted to help me (without my knowledge). He put a cord of that sugar maple in my wood shed. It is blocking all the dry hardwood that I already had stacked!

SOooo. The wood that was SUPPOSED to go in the shed can't fit. It's dry, that's for sure. I am concerned that the wood that he did put in the shed may not be ready to burn. I did split it fairly small, no bigger than 6 inches across. I had a very dry summer with lots of wind. All the ends are split (which doesn't mean much).

I don't have a moisture meter (and am not sure where to get a good one in Canada) and am wondering: is this wood going to be OK for this winter? I would hate to take it all out (making him feel bad).

Thanks in advance guys

Andrew

Try burning some of it now. If it doesn't burn well now, it probably isn't going to burn well later this winter. Not very scientific.

Seems like there was a way to blow through the wood to assess moisture content but can't find the thread anymore. Probably
more effective to burn a little of it.

I have a small amount of sugar maple that was split in june, but was laying in rounds in the woods for ?, someone else cut it but ended up not taking all all of it.

I just now split one and it measured 30%. Not what you want to here but yours should be better because it has been c/s/s 6 months longer than mine.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

I thought April to June was more like 2 months. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry read the last fall part and skipped over the April part.

make fire with nothing but that stuff in the stove and see if it hisses, bubbles, and carries on. If not, you're good to go. If water starts bubblin' out the ends of the splits, move the stuff outta the shed, or at least reposition enough so you can get to the good stuff.

YEah, I guess I will test to see if it hisses. If it does, I will toss is ALLL OUT (ugh) and then put the proper stuff back. hooray. And worse part is that he asked me which wood I wanted to put away and I told him specifically. Ah well, he tried to help and it was free!

A

northwinds said:
Try burning some of it now. If it doesn't burn well now, it probably isn't going to burn well later this winter. Not very scientific.

Seems like there was a way to blow through the wood to assess moisture content but can't find the thread anymore. Probably

I recall reading that if you put dishsoap on one end of the split and kiss and blow on the other and see bubbles your good to go. Never tried it, wife and neighbors already think I spend to much time with the wood!

Sugar maple dries pretty fast. It all depends on conditions, size of splits, sun exposure, single loosely stacked etc.

Andrew,

I picked up a moisture meter from Canadian Tire, and it seems to work reasonably good. When it shows 20%ish on a resplit, there is no problem to burn.

Hope this helps!

LOL. BLowing through the wood? if I start kissing the wood, I will be taking wood burning to an entire new level.

Gzecc: thanks for the tips. I will have to burn it to try it I guess.

I have seen that moisture meter but don't want to pay big bucks for it. When it's not on sale, it's $80. And from the specs of it, it says " •Detects only wood moisture content percentages: 7-25%, with accuracy +/-5% moisture content".

I find 5% error on a 25% reading is quite high. That means it's atleast 20% off of the reading...hrm. What to do what to do.

Andrew

I think with splits that small you'll be all set. I'm now burning sugar maple cut and split in January in a gassifier o.w.b and it's been fine. We're not too far from you and had the same type of summer. Wasn't my ideal situation, but not bad for my first year of burning.
By the way, probably best not to mention to your wife about FIL's mistake.

Sorry for your pain, but makes me chuckle...reminds me of the many "helpful family" deeds that have cost me hours of work. FILs are notorious for that...

Without a moisture meter the only real way to tell is to try burning a piece or two . . . at least the father-in-law tried to help.

Jags said:
And please - if you start soaping the end and blowing on the wood - take pictures.

I feel a Krooser picture coming soon to a woodshed thread near you!!!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 323
glassmanjpf said:
northwinds said:

I recall reading that if you put dishsoap on one end of the split and kiss and blow on the other and see bubbles your good to go. Never tried it, wife and neighbors already think I spend to much time with the wood!

Before you kiss the wood you have to get it in the mood, try massaging each piece and may e light a scented candle and get some nice soothing music on, this all really helps I swear!

krex1010 said:
glassmanjpf said:
northwinds said:

Before you kiss the wood you have to get it in the mood, try massaging each piece and may e light a scented candle and get some nice soothing music on, this all really helps I swear!

Ha ha ha ha. And in 9 months, you'll have a crop of saplings!

LOL. I now love this thread.

UPDATE: I was currently at my FIL's for lunch. He said " Did I put the proper wood in the shed". I simply kept eating (to be polite). He asked again "I don't think I did, did I? You mentioned white birch but I put poplar". I said "I wasn't going to tell you, but yes, I was wishing for the white birch to be put in.. That maple is not seasoned and was for NEXT winter".

THis PM he is taking my wood out of the shed. YAY

However, I may still try soaping the wood and blowing. LOL @ maplewood: I hope there's no saplings!

maplewood said:
krex1010 said:
glassmanjpf said:
northwinds said:

Ha ha ha ha. And in 9 months, you'll have a crop of saplings!

Exactly! Which is why wood really is the most sustainable heat resource

glassmanjpf said:

This sounds like something I'd tell my neighbor just to see if he'd do it.

pen

Andrew, it sounds as if this will work out fine. But just in case, get the camera ready.

Hooray.

My FIL placed my white birch in the shed and tossed out the maple that wasn't seasoned (and misplaced).

The only problem is that now the maple is sitting in the "sloped" area of my back yard where the water runs off when it rains. AND they are calling for 1-2 inches of rain between tonight and Saturday. LOL. I guess I won't ever win!

Thanks for all your input!

Andrew

Swedishchef said:
Hooray.

My FIL placed my white birch in the shed and tossed out the maple that wasn't seasoned (and misplaced).

The only problem is that now the maple is sitting in the "sloped" area of my back yard where the water runs off when it rains. AND they are calling for 1-2 inches of rain between tonight and Saturday. LOL. I guess I won't ever win!

Thanks for all your input!

Andrew

A little rain won't hurt the wood . . . just get it stacked again when you get to it.

Why don't you ask your FIL to test the wood for you? (dish soap method) LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.