HELP!!! Lennox canyon vs. Lopi Cape Cod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deb

Oct 2, 2013
I have never owned a woodstove before and am going to purchase one very soon. I actually already put some money down on a Cape Cod by Lopi. Seems like a very nice stove. Someone was telling me about a cheaper stove the lennox canyon. It's about half the price but I'm not sure which one is a better stove. (again, I know nothing about stoves) I've been searching online all day and see that there are very different opinions about cast iron and steel. Please share your opnion on that AND your opinion on the two brands. One seems nicer and the other cheap (if that's even a word) :) Thanks so much!!!!

Both are good products, but very different.

Where are you? How much space are you looking to heat? How well insulated?

Budget? Be aware that the chimney is also a significant expense.

Oh yeah, welcome.

Yes, they are entirely different products and have different flue requirements. One is cast iron and new on the market but so far looking good. It takes a 6" flue. The other is a steel workhorse that requires an 8" flue. Both are good stoves. However, if you want a nice looking cast iron stove that is steel inside then look at the Jotul F50 Rangeley, Enviro Boston and the Pacific Energy Alderlea stoves. All will have 6" flue collars and should end up in between the first stoves in cost.

we live in Montana. we are looking to heat about 3,000. sq. ft. we know about the chimney cost. we just want to know what stove is going to be a better stove. HOw much maintenance is there to each of them. Thanks sooooo much. trying to make our decision by tomorrow.

Of the two, the Canyon will be the lower tech and lower maintenance stove over the long haul. The Cape Cod will take a little more care and occasional cleaning of the catalyst. That is a lot of space to heat, especially if there are cathedral ceilings and a lot of glass in the house. I would probably lean toward the Canyon in this case due to less familiarity with the Cape Cod in a large house.

What brands do the dealers near you offer?

we live in Montana. we are looking to heat about 3,000. sq. ft. we know about the chimney cost. we just want to know what stove is going to be a better stove. HOw much maintenance is there to each of them. Thanks sooooo much. trying to make our decision by tomorrow.
That's a really big home to heat with a wood stove.. Have you considered the Woodstock Progress Hybrid stove?

http://www.woodstove.com/progress-hybrid

Welcome to the forum and wood burning!

Ray

Given the size of the house and the location I would also suggest looking at the Kuma Sequoia.

http://kumastoves.com/index.php?dispatch=news.view&news_id=10
Or a Blaze King! A Cape Cod will not heat the entire house in Montana.
Seriously, look at the Blaze King King Ultra. I really think that is what it will take if you plan on heating the entire house. You will spend a lot less time loading and reloading the stove. No other stoves can compare to their burn times. . http://www.blazeking.com/

Reactions: aansorge
The real question is do you have dry seasoned wood? You could buy the best wood stove there is but are going to very disappointed with its performance if you don't have seasoned wood.

or the new giant Regency!

what is seasoned wood?
Wood that has been split and stacked in a sunny and windy location for at least a year depending on what kind of wood it is, 3 years for oak. Will you be buying your wood?

Or a Blaze King! A Cape Cod will not heat the entire house in Montana.
Seriously, look at the Blaze King King Ultra. I really think that is what it will take if you plan on heating the entire house. You will spend a lot less time loading and reloading the stove. No other stoves can compare to their burn times. . http://www.blazeking.com/

You have a cape cod? You really don't think it would heat our house even with the fan/blower? They seemed very confident that it would do just fine (of course they are trying to sell it too)

Hi deb and welcome. Both stoves you mention are nice stoves, but diff class (steel vs cast iron). Cast is normally considered an aesthetically pleasing stove material, delivers heat soft and warm, a radiant heater. Steel stoves are normally a convection type stove (air coming around the stove body is warmed and moved away) although each type of stove is actually a combination radiant/convection heater. Like BG and others have noted, if possible, see other stoves mentioned. Seasoned firewood is wood that has a proper moisture content for clean burning woodstoves to burn properly, ideally 15-20 percent. Most stoves will tolerate upwards to 22-24 percent. It needs to be cut, split and stacked usually 12-24 months, depending on species of wood. Good firewood will make any stove a much better heater. Good luck,

Last edited:
Hi deb and welcome. Both stoves you mention are nice stoves, but diff class (steel vs cast iron). Cast is normally considered an aesthetically pleasing stove material, delivers heat soft and warm, a radiant heater. Steel stoves are normally a convection type stove (air coming around the stove body is warmed and moved away) although each type of stove is actually a combination radiant/convection heater. Like BG and others, if possible, see other stoves mentioned. Seasoned firewood is wood that has a proper moisture content for clean burning woodstoves to burn properly, ideally 15-20 percent. Most stoves will tolerate upwards to 22-24 percent. It needs to be cut, split and stacked usually 12-24 months, depending on species of wood. Good firewood will make any stove a much better heater. Good luck,
I disagree there are many cast iron stoves that are convective and some are steel. Soapstone tends to be radiant as well. I have burned 2 cast iron stoves and both were convective. Pretty much all stoves generate radiant heat from the certain areas such as the door side of the stove..

Ray

You have a cape cod? You really don't think it would heat our house even with the fan/blower? They seemed very confident that it would do just fine (of course they are trying to sell it too)
It's not that it won't heat your house. Your square footage is at the top of it's range and your in Montana to top it off!
Do you want this to be a primary heat source? Or just an occasional heater?

Wood that has been split and stacked in a sunny and windy location for at least a year depending on what kind of wood it is, 3 years for oak. Will you be buying your wood?

We have already been out in the country and chopped a lot. The stack is looking very pretty :).

Reactions: raybonz
It's not that it won't heat your house. Your square footage is at the top of it's range and your in Montana to top it off!
Do you want this to be a primary heat source? Or just an occasional heater?

primary heat source. ANYTHING will be nice. we have kept our house at 58 degrees most winters in the city with central heat :) we are use to being cold during winters so I'm just excited to have some heat. I don't need super hot everywhere. Do you think it will do a good enough job ?

Hi Ray, You can disagree, but its generally acknowledged that cast stoves are more radiant heaters than convection, there are always exceptions. And all stoves are a combo anyway.

well the wood we chopped is dead but it was still standing. it's not fresh wet wood. i heard that was the best kind ( the dead, still standing) ?? you guys are awesome for your input by the way , Thanks!

primary heat source. ANYTHING will be nice. we have kept our house at 58 degrees most winters in the city with central heat :) we are use to being cold during winters so I'm just excited to have some heat. I don't need super hot everywhere. Do you think it will do a good enough job ?
It will better than good enough. There's no doubt its a good heater and beautiful to boot!>>

well the wood we chopped is dead but it was still standing. it's not fresh wet wood. i heard that was the best kind ( the dead, still standing) ?? you guys are awesome for your input by the way , Thanks!
Here is an example of standing dead wood compared with a tree that still had leaves.
image.jpg standing dead for at least 5 years.

image.jpg

is a 400 cfm fan pretty powerful. They guy selling the lennox said the fan would be 700 cfm but that seems awfully powerful as they said the 400 is a really good fan. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.