Question: My wife and I have just bought a new house a with a fireplace and we have had several fires, but every time we get it going it just dies out. I have been told that the fireplace is lacking oxygen, but I'm sure I have the outside vent open. It will last about 10- 15 min. and then die down. I add another log and nothing really happens and the log never seem to burn very well. Are we doing something wrong, or do we have the wrong type of logs? HELP.... Answer: Lots of possible reasons: 1. Is the wood dry and seasoned...can you hear it hiss, or does moisture run out of the ends? 2. Are you building up a good hot fire and bed of coals using small, dry kindling? 3. Are you criss-crossing your wood..one pice by itself does not burn well If cracking a window near the unit solves the problem, then it may be lack of air...however, check the other factors also.