Help me Choose-Harman Oakwood vs Drolet Legend Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbird560

Feb 2, 2011
SW Arkansas
We are building a larger cabin as our permanent retirement home. 1152 sqare foot bottom floor with cathedral ceiling and about one third of the area in an open loft area. SW Arkansas. We have been looking at wood burning stoves to be the primary source of heat. We are very interested in the Harman Oakwood and the Drolet Legend. We think both would do the job although very differently. It would seem the Oakwood would offer much longer burn times and
possibly use less wood. The Oakwood is cast iron and is the most attractive cosmetically. Unfortunately there is a very large difference in price. Around $1100 for the Legend and around
$1900 for the Oakwood. We have had very little luck finding end user reviews for either of these units and would like some real world experinced user input. Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these stoves. Advise welcome.
Thanks,
Jbird

The Harman Oakwood does have a long burn time, but the BTU rating is only 42K.
Because of the Harman reburn design, it also requires a lot of rear clearance - even with the rear heat shield.
I don't think you'll get a new one for $1900...They're more like $2400+...

Greetings Jbird. You'll find about 8 Oakwood ratings here: https://www.hearth.com/ratings/search.php and many more comments by searching on Harman Oakwood using the Quick Search box above to the left.

The Drolet is a nice simple stove. It definitely has less parts and offers a good value. If you want simple, but a more classic look, maybe consider a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 or the less expensive Napoleon 1400PL or an Englander 13 NC?

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacaldert5.htm
http://www.woodstoves.net/napoleon/1100-1400.htm
http://www.overstockstoves.com/50epacenowos.html

I definitely have a firm quote on the Harman Oakwood for $1899 (with $100 Harman coupon) on the new one they have in stock but not on an ordered one. After reading about all the problems with overfiring, temp control, plugged up passage ways, outrageous costs for repairs, and poor backup from the manufacturer, I don't know if this would be a bargain at any price. This stove is on the upper end of our budget and I sure don't want one that is problem prone, touchy to operate, and expensive to repair. Guess I'll have to look further.
Jbird

Check the provided links, you have other nice options.

Checking out the Napoleon 1400PL with legs. Looks like a nice option and the price is good.
Will try to check out the end user views on this one. Thanks for the suggestions.
Jbird

And another down-draft stove gets kicked to the curb........

Funny that there were no comments about the Drolet Legend. Does no one use this unit? Seemed nice to me for a simple stove. Don't know if it is down draft technology or not.
Jbird

Funny that there were no comments about the Drolet Legend. Does no one use this unit? Seemed nice to me for a simple stove. Don't know if it is down draft technology or not.
Jbird

I realize this is years after your original post, however for people looking for information on the Drolet Legend I have a little experience with it.

First of all I purchased the stove in the winter of 2013 and am hooked on burning wood. This stove has a very large firebox 3.1 cf which is nearly square so loading it is convenient through the large door. I find I can get 8 hr burn times and am able to start the fire the next morning with the coals left from the overnight burn. I don't have any "new" stove to compare it with as I only used old pot belly stoves in the past. But for my first EPA stove this one works great and is easy to maintain. The reason I bought it was it's size and the viewing window is mesmerizing and stays very clean. I wipe it clean maybe once a week. The entire family loves the room we installed the stove in, we rarely used the room before but now it is our focal point in the winter. The stove is made in Canada so I figured if it's good enough for them it's good enough for us in Iowa. The stove is very safe with low clearances to combustibles as we have curtains beside both sides and the back. Even when it is cooking us out of the room the curtains are not in danger. We are very pleased with the heat output, too hot most of the time but it exceeded our expectations. I found it cheaper at a local farm supply store. Love the site and all the information everyone provides.

Welcome. If you haven't heard, I love big honkin steel stoves. Good to hear the good news about the Legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.