Help me Find a Stove!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbilliel

Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2009
Central CT
I currently have a 6" setup going through the wall and up the side of the house. The prior stove is a piece of junk (came with the house) and I am in need of a new one. The challenge I am finding is the 6" pipe restriction. The wife reallly likes the VC resolute which is 6" but used they are still going for a LOT of money. I am looking to spend around $500 and I can find many very good condition VC vigilants, but they are all 8" and my understanding is this is a bad idea to choke it down. So with all that said,

What would you guys/gals recommend for a good used woodstove in the $500 used range? I guess it needs to be 6" and is used to heat a side of the house so it does not need to be a monster size, but 40-60k btu's feels about right.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Have you checked craigslist, Ive seen a few good deals on some free standing stoves depending on what size your looking for. I live just north of you so I was looking in the conn mass section of craigslist.

weatherguy said:
Have you checked craigslist, Ive seen a few good deals on some free standing stoves depending on what size your looking for. I live just north of you so I was looking in the conn mass section of craigslist.

I have been looking around, but most of the stoves are in bad condition or they want a million dollars for them!

As you have noticed, peak season is not the best time to out looking for bargains. Considering that a new stove installation will burn cleaner, use less wood and most likely will be safer, maybe time to consider a new stove and apply the tax credit? Can a top vent stove be put in? If so, maybe consider buying a new Englander 13NC, Napoleon 1400 or perhaps a Drolet stove? After the tax credit it will be in about the same price range, but you get all the benefits of a modern stove. Even if it doesn't fit the ideal vision for the perfect stove, you'll be warm and can start saving for that perfect stove in the future.

That said, keep your eye out for a used Jotul #8 or the original VC Resolute I. Be fussy about the condition of the stove. Otherwise it may be awhile before it is actually heating the house. Also, the second biggest challenge at this time of year is finding really dry wood. How much you have on hand for this season will directly affect the burning experience.

I've seen some decent stoves on Craigs list. Expand your search alittle. Even a ferry ride to LI would be worth the trip for the right stove.

I am seeing conflicting information. Is it ok to buy an older vigilant with a 8" flue and choke it down to 6"?

Normally it is not ok to choke this stove down in flue pipe size. Where was the Vigilant recommended?

How about starting from the beginning and describing the area the stove is going to be in, the total sq ftg hoping to heat and what the options are budget wise. Also, has the chimney been cleaned, inspected and approved for a wood stove? If yes, what is the outlet height entering the chimney and what is the chimney height?

Just suggesting here, if budget is tight, maybe it would be best to get a steel stove for now and have good heat until it's possible to afford a fancier stove in the future?

Even though this isn't the time of year to find great deals on stoves, you may still be able to find a bargain.

I located my Englander 30 on Craigslist almost exactly two years ago (I think I picked it up on Dec. 6th).

It was brand new, still on the pallet, and only $550 (about half price).

Keep your eyes open, and be ready to move if you find a deal!!

Good luck!
-SF

BeGreen said:
Normally it is not ok to choke this stove down in flue pipe size. Where was the Vigilant recommended?

How about starting from the beginning and describing the area the stove is going to be in, the total sq ftg hoping to heat and what the options are budget wise. Also, has the chimney been cleaned, inspected and approved for a wood stove? If yes, what is the outlet height entering the chimney and what is the chimney height?

Just suggesting here, if budget is tight, maybe it would be best to get a steel stove for now and have good heat until it's possible to afford a fancier stove in the future?

The stove will be used for supplimental heat on one side of the house (approx 750-1000 sq ft). I have a whole corner that of a room that was done in brick for the wood stove to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.