help me find the right wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sebf

Feb 23, 2021
canada
Hi, we have a rustic cabin with no electricity. We need a wood stove that can heat well the room (obviously) and cook on it as well.
We currently have a waterford trinity mkII that need to be replace, we canot find an other one in Canada right now.

So i found a vermont casting intrepid II (#1308), what do you think of it ?
is there another option i can check ? maybe Jotul

Thank you
Sebastien

Is there any other heat in the cabin or just the woodstove? Canada can be very cold so it can take a bigger stove and a lot of btus to heat up all the mass inside the building. Where is the cabin located? How large is the cabin?

The Intrepid is pretty small, take a look at the True North TN20 for starters.

It is the only source of heat. we slept confortably in the cabin with the waterford and a -17 degres C outside, after about 6-8hours burning to heat the room.
it is a log cabin about 1000sqft in the forest.

The Trinity was a decent heater with much larger capacity than the little Intrepid. For traditional styling with good heat output look at the Jotul Oslo and the Hearthstone Shelburne stoves.

thank you for the reply.
that's what i thought about the size of the intrepid, i will try to find a used Jotul 500.

Sounds good. If looking at used stoves also be on the lookout for a Quadrafire Explorer II, PE Alderlea T5 and an Enviro Boston 1700.

Reactions: sebf