1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help me with a Moravian

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Poodleheadmikey, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Poodleheadmikey

Poodleheadmikey New Member

Loc:
    Southern New Jersey
    Free standing model.

A friend has one for sale - knows nothing about it and neither do I. <g>

I am debating just what to do to replace my New Mac furnace - which I am abandoning.

I have a stove designed in my head that I want to build but it's tempting to just install the Moravian (101 I think?) and be done with it.

Of course the Moravian is about 25 years old too. Do they have any known weak-spots? Flaws? Common failure points? What should I be looking for in terms of accessing the Moravian's condition? Do they crack or burn though especially?

Any opinions? Thoughts? Considerations?

PHM
    -----

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Loc:
    The coldest major city in Canada
    How come you are abandoning the Newmac?
  3. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    You might try the "classic stoves" section.. it's new, but all the guys who might have the knowledge you seek seem to be checking in there...

Personally, unless I had some history with an old stove, I would buy a new stove that is known shape and probably uses way less wood..
  4. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Loc:
    The coldest major city in Canada
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Is it the one over in Mt. Laurel?
  6. Poodleheadmikey

Loc:
    Southern New Jersey
    The NewMac is a ducted furnace. When I got it I installed a 90% natural gas downflow to blow into the side of the NewMac and then put the A/C coil on top of the NewMac's air discharge opening. I wired it onto a two-stage room thermostat so the gas furnace would fire when the fire was burned down. The system worked well.

But . . . it's a mess of ducting and takes up a lot of room and I mow want to hang the 90% furnace from the floor joists and put a big tool cabinet under it.

I make a lot of hot water now with my solar panels and there's no easy way to incorporate a large hydronic heating coil into the existing return ducts.

I keep saying that I'm going to install under-floor radiant to utilize the solar heated water but let's face facts here: it won't be for years - if ever. <g>

I have motorcycles and a sailboat whispering to me all the time:

"Come on! You can work later - let's get the hell out of here buddy . . . "

And also: sometimes I just want to change things. I change my mind. I want to try out new ideas. I want to build something. I want to re-convince myself that I Can Do It.

I guess the short answer to your question is: Because I Want To. <g>

PHM
    ------

7. Poodleheadmikey

Loc:
    Southern New Jersey
    The one in Mt. Laurel: yes.

PHM
    ------

8. Poodleheadmikey

Loc:
    Southern New Jersey
    Thank you Mister Moderator. Very gracious of you to better locate my questions.

Although it did at first make me think I was crazy. <g>

PHM
    ------
  9. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We're all here to help. I'm wondering about the Newmac furnace. Did it burn out or has it performed poorly?
  10. Poodleheadmikey

Loc:
    Southern New Jersey
    The NewMac is fine - I'm just tired of it and don't want it any more.

Some years ago I got sick of hearing BS from my neighbors about the smell. Hell; I knew it was them them making the wood-burning smells the whole time. And the proof is that I am the only who stopped burning wood and they are still complaining. <g>

Now I want to re-sort my heating / ducting arrangements here and the NewMac no longer fits my Vision: I want a stove - not a furnace. <g>

PHM
    ------
  11. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I don't know...the Moravian is not the finest example of an old stove......personally, I would not lust after one, but if I was 100 percent broke and had no other source of heat, I would take it.

I'd go EPA forward just to get more from my wood and less chance of chimney fires - plus, keep the neighbors and wife happier.