Help, model/make of wood stove insert & draw up problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kklein280

Dec 5, 2015
Indiana
Hello, I have a wood stove insert that is not drawing up. I have owned the house for about 5 years, house is 21 years old. I bought house from original builder, wood stove insert is primary source of heat and installed then. No furnace in house. Wood stove heats house without problem. Went to start first fire and noted no draw up. Concluded it probably is related to creosote build up. I called on chimney repair, stated unable to clean it bc of the way the woodstove insert design is with tubes, unable to assess to clean. Not sure how was cleaned in past, I don't know model or make of insert, trying to figure this out, any help? Also trying to figure out if able to remove insert safely with out problems to clean.

FB_IMG_1449349887068-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like some sort of zero clearance fireplace.

Looks like some sort of zero clearance fireplace.

I have been searching, trying to find similar unit, haven't found one yet.
I need to try to find way to clean it, are u able to pull these out, no access to remove debris from unit bc of tubes.

FB_IMG_1449349887068.jpg

this is the top of the unit. I cant tell if I the pipe is holding up weight with chimmey or if pipe is cut will cause problems.

20151205_165920.jpeg

OK, it's much clearer with the wider shot. Looks like a ZC with an air cooled chimney. I have to say that a hot flue collar that close to wood is not looking safe and the flue collar connection looks very loose. You might want to have a professional csia sweep inspect this setup for safety first. www.csia.org

OK, it's much clearer with the wider shot. Looks like a ZC with an air cooled chimney. I have to say that a hot flue collar that close to wood is not looking safe and the flue collar connection looks very loose. You might want to have a professional csia sweep inspect this setup for safety first. www.csia.org

This has been used since house was built. No problems until this year. Now not able to use until i am able to fix it. I had professional sweep company that DX problems ( from that site) insect this week and they were unable to guide me much. Basically stating creosote build up was the problem with no draw up. Fix: was to clean, however They cant assess wood stove to clean bc of coils. I attached photo. They quoted me to replace complete chimmey and pipe related to needs area to assess pipe to pull wood stove insert out to clean out. He tried several attempts to get around coils to clean out but unable. Now need guidance if able to remove insert to clean out with pipe installed?
Appears maybe no bather because of coils?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-05-20-53-24-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-05-20-53-24-1.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 2015-12-06 01.11.32.jpg
    2015-12-06 01.11.32.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
this is the top of the unit. I cant tell if I the pipe is holding up weight with chimmey or if pipe is cut will cause problems.

View attachment 168685[/QUOTE
This has been used since house was built. No problems until this year. Now not able to use until i am able to fix it. I had professional sweep company that DX problems ( from that site) insect this week and they were unable to guide me much. Basically stating creosote build up was the problem with no draw up. Fix: was to clean, however They cant assess wood stove to clean bc of coils. I attached photo. They quoted me to replace complete chimmey and pipe related to needs area to assess pipe to pull wood stove insert out to clean out. He tried several attempts to get around coils to clean out but unable. Now need guidance if able to remove insert to clean out with pipe installed?
Kinda crazy no Easy way to clean.

ok that looks to me like a home or local shop made insert that is installed like a zeroclearance unit. I honestly would not use it untill the entire system is completley evaluated for safety. I see some major red flags and the fact that it cannot be cleaned properly is a big problem also

Amazing news ! Able to just lift up on pipe, is secured with braces per builders. Pull out insert and bamm cleaned that girl out !!! Happiest girl in the world. Can't believe TJ Chimmey Certified Company couldn't guide me to this. Seriously smallest issue in world ! Thanks for all the help.

Amazing news ! Able to just lift up on pipe, is secured with braces per builders. Pull out insert and bamm cleaned that girl out !!! Happiest girl in the world. Can't believe TJ Chimmey Certified Company couldn't guide me to this. Seriously smallest issue in world ! Thanks for all the help.
I would not have touched that unit either it looks pretty dangerous to me i mean that stove collar is a few inches for wood not good at all. or is that not wood in that pic

Status
Not open for further replies.