Help, my eves are 18 feet high.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodstover

Hearth Supporter
Dec 17, 2008
Oregon
I recently completed building a 40 X 60 pole barn and want to heat it. My walls are 18 ft. high with a 4/12 pitch roof that puts my peak at about 26 ft. high. Will I be able to install an old fisher stove left over from the 80's (free to me) to heat my shop? From what I have read on this forum, I need to be concerned with cooling of chimney and overall length for proper burn efficiency.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Seems to me there may several thousand cases of ~26' tall barns in the country being actively heated - and efficiently - with wood heat. I wouldn't be concerned so long as you're willing to follow All Them Rules...

Now whether you can get that old Fisher burning "efficiently" under any circumstances is another story ;)

Decide where in the structure you want the stove positioned, observing all required minimum clearances to combustibles, then plan the stovepipe/chimney system with all the proper components and put 'er in. Roof height, in itself, is not a big concern. Rick

The first thing you'll probably notice is that it might not get too warm in that barn except right next to the heater itself. That is a pretty good sized box to heat up. You might also think about a fan to move the air around a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just want to keep things from freezing when the COLD hits, I own lots of coats.

Insulation would be the key...without it, I doubt you'd have a chance to heat the space. With some good R value on the walls and especially roof, you should be able to get it up to at least a workable temp. Definitely be better with some industrial ceiling fans to move the air around, too.

woodstover said:
I recently completed building a 40 X 60 pole barn and want to heat it. My walls are 18 ft. high with a 4/12 pitch roof that puts my peak at about 26 ft. high. Will I be able to install an old fisher stove left over from the 80's (free to me) to heat my shop? From what I have read on this forum, I need to be concerned with cooling of chimney and overall length for proper burn efficiency.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Welcome Woodstover,

It sounds like a beautiful structure. It seems a really big space to heat, with most of it to go up to the roof line. Will the stove be centrally located with a straight up interior chimney? Also, easy for cleaning from the bottom up. Just, my thoughts.

Post some photos when you can.

Enjoy it!

I have a pole barn and I would never dream of trying to warm it with one wood stove. To many cracks, lack of insulation and high ceilings. But some of my friends do heat there's and what they have found to be the most efficient is a water heater hooked to plastic pipe in the floor. Then use the wood stove to supplement it.

Yup, a very big space to heat, by any means.

I would try a high BTU wood stove in the center, with a straight up single wall pipe, until the roof pass through, then proper double wall.

It still sounds like a great space!

Status
Not open for further replies.