Help my stove sounds like a typewriter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyW in NH

Nov 2, 2014
NH
I have an Englander 25-PAH and it has started to sound like an old typewriter. I bought it new and this is its 3rd season and it's started with this crazy clicking sound when the fans kick on. Sometimes it'll not make the sound for hours but then it comes back, loud and with no real rhythm to it and a faint rubbing sound behind it. I thoughtaybe a pellet got stuck in a fan and have tried to peak in both fans and clean out any debris and dust but can't seem to pinpoint the noise source. Any thoughts?

The combustion fan should start when the stove is started ... but the room air / heat circulating fan should come on when the unit comes up to temp. Do you notice it before the circulating fan comes on? Sounds like you need to pull the fan(s) and blow them out ... or totally different ... something could be stuck in the auger system. The fans are outboard of the unit .. the auger(s) is in the center. Seems like if noise was coming from one of the fans, it would be easy to pick out. Auger system, maybe not so much! Next time it's empty of pellets, maybe run a dry test (no heat) and see if the augers 'jump' with each tick ....

Status
Not open for further replies.