Help needed with a VC propane vent free fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

seth1065

Sep 28, 2021
NJ
Need some help here folks , bought a weekend home that has a Vermont Casting propane fireplace model UVS27R or UVS27M, it is vent free and propane fueled. With fall coming I would like to use it to heat a room about 20X10, when I went to have it hooked up the propane guy said I needed a new value , he could not get it to stay on, I called VC and they said I am SOL , It seems the part is made by Honeywell (?) is that the case ? Any idea how I would go about finding this part? TIA

Did he explain how he came to the conclusion that it needed a new valve

It could be a bad valve.. often times it is not. As Lennox 65 pointed out it could be a bad ods pilot assembly (short money). Your repairman should know what he's doing

Ok thanks for the info , so I guess my next step is a new repair guy, would a normal plumber work or what type of repair guy should I be looking for ? TIA

Ok thanks for the info , so I guess my next step is a new repair guy, would a normal plumber work or what type of repair guy should I be looking for ? TIA
Google "Gas Fireplace service" in your area. Most stove shops offer some kind of service work, although most prefer to only service the product that they sell.

Often times when a plumber tells a customer they need a new valve, I find that the burner line or nozzle was clogged by spiders. It still could be a bad valve though