Help needed with defiant encore 2190

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Time to replace the door gaskets. Do the glass gaskets at the same time. You should do the $$ test on the griddle and ash pan.

If you still have a full firebox of flame (once that done) when the stove is shut down, then a potential rebuild is in order.

Just my opinion

I did the ash door also when I did the doors it checked out ok. The griddle gasket is brand new replaced in October as was the door gaskets and glass gaskets that’s why I wonder if something is out of adjustment since the bottom of the door gasket looks like it’s never touched anything since I changed them. Maybe I pulled the gasket to tight I didn’t try to at all just tried to lay it in the groove. Will replace the gaskets and see what happens.

Thank you

Sounds like, perhaps you did not do it right. There are videos on how to do it using the correct gaskets. Use the graphite gasket, not the white one.

I replaced gaskets there is still a gap at the bottoms of both doors between gasket and stove front. Seems to be sealed all the way around except or in the middle at the bottom. Not sure what I need to do or what I’m doing wrong. Any help is appreciated.

I replaced gaskets there is still a gap at the bottoms of both doors between gasket and stove front. Seems to be sealed all the way around except or in the middle at the bottom. Not sure what I need to do or what I’m doing wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Can you post a pic. Does the door handle cam tightly when you close the door There’s an adjustment for the door handle if it doesn’t close tightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not I can get a good pic the latch closes extremely tight and it’s screwed all the way in. I don’t wonder if the top is closing to tight and causing the bottom to push out in turn?

there is some adjustment on the door height, you might have to lower the whole door.

I wonder if the stove has been overfired and warped at some point. I will take a look at my Encore tonight to see if the doors adjust at all.

I’m not sure what to do at this point I’ve tried adjusting them doesn’t seem to make it any better. New doors are around 100 dollars a piece so not sure what to do. Thank you guys for all your advice I appreciate it!

Could you shim out the gaskets in the gap areas with a excess amount of whatever your using for gasket glue? At least as a test of effectiveness.

Or try applying a thicker gasket in that area.

This stove would have to be grossly over fired for doors to warp. When people neglect and overfire these stoves, the inner cast parts at the back of the stove are the ones that fail in all the cases I have seen. You don’t know the history of this stove, correct.

Last edited:
Correct only thing I know is that the stove was installed around 1993 when the house was built that’s about it it heats the entire house great even on the coldest days but I just wish I could keep fires longer. I’ll try shimming it out maybe and tips or tricks to go about that, or just use different size gasket material where needed