Help!!! New guy needs help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

puller738

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2009
IL
Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I have a newer home which is 1950 sq ft. I would love to put a wood stove (lopi leyden) in the house before the snow starts flying. My problem is the only location for the stove would be the far corner of the house in the kitchen. My house is a very open house, however I'm concerned that I will have way to much heat in the kitchen and not enough in the rest of the house. Would this location be something a guy could work with or would you not even think about it.

Also, the location is only about 9 ft from my refrig which makes me wonder if the refrig will be running the whole time i have the wood stove going. Any feedback there??? Thanks much.

would love to see a floor plan if you have one. You can PM me for my email address and send it as a PDF if needed.

I have a Lopi Liberty in the kitchen and yes, it sure does get hot in there.
I also worried about the refrigerator. It sits about 8' across from the stove but
doesn't seem to affect it.
We could've found a better place for heating the whole
house but this is where the old one was
so it was a simple remove and replace job.
I'm glad it's in the kitchen because it's easier to cook on,
doesn't make a mess through the house, is much closer
to the wood storage, and I don't cross any carpet. °F

The thing about the Leyden and other downdraft top loaders (like mine) is that to be efficient and run their best they like to be run hot. It is is a good design for a large room in cold weather, but for your situation it might be better to consider other options. A cat stove like the Woodstock Fireview might give you a more even, controllable heat.

A hybrid, convective stove like the Quadrafire Cumberland Gap or the PE Alderlea T5 will have a wide range of burning temps and doesn't overheat nearby areas. Advantage of the Alderlea is that the top is designed for cooking. The trivet top swings aside allowing for nice regulation of cooking temp. If boiling hot is desired, put it directly on the stove top. They work well for kitchen locations.

BeGreen said:
A hybrid, convective stove like the Quadrafire Cumberland Gap or the PE Alderlea T5 will have a wide range of burning temps and doesn't overheat nearby areas. Advantage of the Alderlea is that the top is designed for cooking. The trivet top swings aside allowing for nice regulation of cooking temp. If boiling hot is desired, put it directly on the stove top. They work well for kitchen locations.

Out of those two for the kitchen, I would say the T5 100%

Looking at a hearthstone homestead for the corner of the house (kitchen). seems like a soapstone stove is the best way to go. any input on the homestead in the kitchen. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.