Help -> Osborn 1800 installation into a zero clearence fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mackconsult

Hearth Supporter
Okay so I have narrowed down my only option for a wood stove insert is the Osborn 1800. It will be tight but it does fit and there is only one other issue that I am facing. After talking with a retailer up in Kent, WA he said I could remove part of the facing skirt to "push" the stove 1.5" farther into my ZC fireplace. I have made some accurate measurements and so the fluespacings pdf below shows that I will have a 0.46 inch misalignment between my existing chimney and the new 6" diameter chimney that I will be installing. There will be about 2" of clearence between the top of the stove and the top surface of my ZC fireplace.

http://ray.mccormack.home.comcast.net/woodinsert/fluespacings10282006.pdf
http://ray.mccormack.home.comcast.net/woodinsert/housefireplacedimensions10282006.pdf

Do you think this will be a feasible installation for me???

Any help greatly appreciated.

Another thing to consider in your measurements is the collar on your insert will be larger than 6 inches. It is probably more like 6.25 to 6.5 inches. The inside diameter in 6 inches. Your dealing with the two toughest problems with putting an insert in a zc fireplace. Height clearance and flu alignment.

Not sure of the osborn, but does it provide provisions for installing/attaching the take off collar from the inside? This would be a big help and take care of one problem. Still have the problem of the flu alignment and I can't help you on that.

Not sure what you mean by facing skirt. If it can be re-installed then it is probably ok to remove. However most manuals state no permanent changes to the zc box are allowed. Looks like you need a new ceramic brick thingy on the back of the unit as well.

Have you looked at the Enviro kodiak insert?? Good luck, hopefully others with more knowledge can help you a little more, KD

EDIT: measure from the back wall (measure from the face of the fake brick) of your fireplace to the CENTER of your flu pipe and let me know what you have. The enviro just may fit nicely. BTW, it was the only one I could find that would fit mine, and it just made it!. KD

Well the Kodiak could fit, but once again the flue outlet on the stove is not far enough back into the fireplace for proper alignment with the flue in my ZC fireplace.

When I talk about the faceplate I am referring to the shroud on the insert. My plan is to remove it install the stove aligning the flues and then probably modify the shroud or create a new one. Other consideration is to use spacers, like 1/2" aluminum bar stock to "bring this shroud out a" allowing the stove to sit back farther in my ZC fireplace.

After talking with many different insert retailers they said you can remove the bricks to make room for the stove. Which is my plan.

BTW ... my existing flue in the ZC fireplace is 8" in diameter and so the hole center is 4" away from the back of the fireplace. This is my issue.

Regards ...

Cool, I could see using this with a wood stove insert that would give me what ..... 3 or 4 inches of clearance on top. Unfortunately I don't think I have that flexibility.

More and more I am considering "which stove insert has the easiest shroud piece to modify". My plan know is to just go up and look at a 1800 before purchasing. From there hopefully I can assess how easy/costly it will be to take a 1800, push it all the way back into my ZC fireplace. Then go and design a custom shroud piece that allows my insert to farther back in my ZC fireplace.

Its proably going to increase my cost about $500, but will ensure a good flue implementation allowing for easy cleaning.

Regards,
Ray

Not to beat a dead horse, but the center of the kodiak flu is 5 inches from the back of the unit. So if you have an 8 inch opening then you have the room. It would be off center by only one inch which still leaves plenty of room. Ask me how I know. Your set up sounds just like my situation and I'm enjoying my insert as we speak. Good luck with it, KD

Did you end up buying the Magnum ZC? How have you liked it?

I'm considering buying that fireplace insert, also. Last week, I called the number on their site and talked to a very helpful person. However, I haven't seen any reviews for this insert -- except for the testimonials on their site. I have a quote that is good until the end of the month.

(Magnum Zero Clearance - in case anyone does the same search I did)

Status
Not open for further replies.