Help out a newbie...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cjk5063

Jan 9, 2017
CT
Hello all,

Just getting into burning real wood in a fireplace (no insert) in our new house. Picked up a truckload of red oak that is underseasoned. Not sure how long it was cut and stacked, but steams and fizzes out the ends when put on the fire. It will burn when added to an established fire.

So, do I do myself any good by stacking some in my garage or basement rather than outside under the eaves of the house? And how much badness do I do by burning some of it occasionally this winter?

I plan to split to smaller size and re-stack if nothing else.

Thanks in advance!

Split smaller and bring inside a few days before burning. It will probably burn fine in a fireplace.

In an unheated garage, or basement, it won't dry out much.
I burn wood like that sometimes in my fireplace. I think it will do no harm to burn this wood.

it will absolutely create more creosote than dry wood. It really is hard to say if it will be dangerous amounts or not. Whether or not bringing it is will help will depend on the humidity level and temp of the area it will be stored in but I doubt it will do much in the short term.

I would think splitting it smaller and stacking it outside would be better for drying it out... unless it is a heated garage or basement as mentioned, or if you can stack it inside with a fan blowing on it for days on end (which is not very practical either).
+1 on the fact it will burn fine in a fireplace. If you are looking for a better burn, you could mix lumber scraps or pallet would pieces in with it.
And get some more for next year...so spitting wood isn't an issue. ;)

The only way that oak is going to burn decent this year is to store it in the same room as the stove. But you don't have a stove, and the fireplace is nothing more than ambiance. Save the wood, and save up for an insert or freestander . Let the oak sit another couple years, and it will be nice by then.

Reactions: firefighterjake