1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Help picking a good radiant wood stove?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Hoozie, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Quadrafire Isle Royale !!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hoozie

Hoozie Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Klamath Basin, Oregon
    No other weird stuff that I can see. Is there a specific Tee support I should get and install?

:) That would be nice. Last winter if we really worked hard (company coming over) we could get that end of the house up to 80ish. Most of the time we had temps in the high 60s and sometimes low 70s. Low 60s each morning since I would rarely get up at night to reload it, and a 50/50 chance of having any coals left to refire from.

Right now it's a tossup between the Englander 30NC, Jotul 500/600, and the Isle Royale. Decisions, decisions....
  3. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    I motion also on the Jotul Oslo for radiant effectiveness.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Get the support made by the same company that made the class A pipe.
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Attached Files:

6. Hoozie

Hoozie Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Klamath Basin, Oregon
    Alrighty, did some looking, but I'm not really liking what I found. The pipe was made by Simpson Dura-Vent.

I found this Tee support: http://www.northlineexpress.com/6-d...anized-tee-support-bracket-9472ga-9472ga.html

But, the center of the vertical pipe is 23" from the wall, so that bracket won't reach. I can't bring the pipe in closer to the wall since it would then cover up the attic access hole that's 6' above the Tee. Unless I mounted the pipe near the wall with 4 45* angle pieces to both hug the wall, avoid the access hole, and then clear the eve again :rolleyes:

Or I could rig something together like this: http://www.northlineexpress.com/6-duraplus-elbow-strap-9060-9060.html but those straps aren't long enough.

*sigh* Darn previous owners not doing it right :mad:
  7. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Post a picture of the entire outdoor chimney. There's a way to fix this I suspect, but it will help to see the whole shebang first.
  8. Hoozie

Hoozie Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Klamath Basin, Oregon
    I guess that would probably help :p

Attached Files:

9. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yup, that helps, though it's what I was concerned about. There are no wall braces for the length of the run. The fool person that installed this was cutting every corner he could. Give me a little time to digest the options here.
  10. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Wow that's a scary looking install ! Is that an actual through the wall kit or is it home made ?
  11. Hoozie

Hoozie Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Klamath Basin, Oregon
    The through wall bits look just like the duratech Thimble/collar kit does. I'm pretty sure it's a factory piece. When I take the chimney down to re-brace it from the bottom up I might just take it apart to check it :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot for the help :beer:
  12. Hoozie

Hoozie Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Klamath Basin, Oregon
    Been reading here some more (oops :p), and I'm kinda liking the thought of an all day burn with the Blaze Kings. Although if I went with the King, since it has an 8" flue, I'd have to replace the entire chimney, right?
  13. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It looks like the chimney is going to need a rebuild anyhow. If it still is in good condition, you could reuse the current parts if you stick with 6" class A DuraVent pipe. For the rebuild, the goal would be to get it properly supported and anchored and a bit taller. I would take the current horizontal piece in the tee and replace it with a shorter snout piece, like 12-18". Then mount the tee on a proper support bracket, go up to just below the attic entrance, then offset with 30º elbows and a short connector to clear the soffit. Lock the elbows with side plates. Secure the pipe to the building above the tee, just below the lower elbow and at the soffit. Use that long horiz. piece up top to extend the flue height if necessary.

The BK Princess would work for your place. It takes 6" pipe. But it's somewhat off the original request for a strongly radiant stove.
  14. Huntindog1

Huntindog1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    I noticed if you have a local Ace Hardware you can get free shipping to an Ace Hardware store on a NC-30.
  15. Huntindog1

Huntindog1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    Homedepot has the nc-30 for 899 with too store delivery which should also be free. Looks like the best deal.
  16. truck243

truck243 Member

Loc:
    louisville ky
    I have the us stove's Magnolia , its burninng now, I F'n love it! worth every penny! (paid 750.00)

Attached Files:

17. Hoozie

Hoozie Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Klamath Basin, Oregon
    I think I understand what you're suggesting. Something like this? As far as I can tell all of the existing pipe is still in good condition, so I should be able to reuse it. Cold weather is upon us here, so I'll try to work on it this week. However, I do like the straight shot with the current setup, as it's easy to inspect and clean. With the angled part, if the top and bottom look good, can I assUme the angled bit is clean as well? And the only way to clean it is to disassemble it?

Attached Files:

18. Thomas Anderson

Thomas Anderson Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    If you build a hot fire, so long as all the heat isn't going out the chimney (i.e damper closed), I'm not sure what difference it makes which kind of stove you get. I have a BIS Ultima, which is built into the wall like a fireplace, so other than the radiant heat that comes out through the glass door, I guess you would call it a convective stove. But if I get a good fire going in there, it'll heat all 3000 sqft of my house (and keep the room it's in above 90::F). Just standing next to the double-wall chimney on the second floor will take the chill out of your bones. I think the main thing to consider is the BTU rating of the stove. If you want more heat, get one with a higher BTU rating.
  19. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    We have the next size down stove from the Liberty, the Republic 1750 which is the sister stove to the Endeavor (which looks like a smaller version of the Liberty). It heats our house exclusively, we don't use a furnace (we don't have one). Granted our Cottage is smaller than your house, but it's a (former) summer cottage-we recently found there is NO insulation in at least one wall.

We have been buring pine and box elder lately, and it seems to me that the Lopi likes the pine. Last year we regularly managed to have coals in the AM and the evening when we came home (I'd load at about 6:30 am and we'd get home at about 6pm) so I'd have to think the Liberty wouldn't have a problem with overnight burns. We never had a problem keeping warm, although we had a stretch of a few days in the single digits where the vent free kicked on in the front of the Cottage-however it is located in the area with the uninsulated wall.
  20. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, that is the idea. You will still be able to sweep it, but won't be able to visually check it looking up the pipe. That's not a big deal really. Burn good dry wood in a modern EPA stove and cleaning will only be a couple times a season, if that.
  21. Hoozie

Hoozie Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Klamath Basin, Oregon
    So you can sweep around the bends just fine? Didn't know that.

Ok, maybe a stupid question. It appears that I have DVL double wall pipe outside. The only 30* bends I can find are triple wall, and cost $320 :eek:
    http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1090

Can double and triple wall pipe be mixed? Of course, it may not happen this year after an unexpected $800 vet bill for a sick horse :rolleyes:
  22. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    DVL outside? I was suspicious of that closeup shot of the Tee, but that clinches it. DVL is interior connector pipe only. Whoever piped this chimney messed up seriously. Figure on redoing the entire outdoors chimney if this is the case.