Help understanding double wall stove pipe clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norsk

Sep 27, 2010
Central, MN
I trying to install my first stove, a Regency F2400, with airmate, in the corner of our home. The install guide states that the minimum clearance to combustibles is 15.5 inches from the center line of the stove pipe. If I place the box so that I have at least 15.5 inches of clearance can I offset the stove pipe prior to the ceiling (putting class A up though another level). I'm use a Selkirk double wall pipe rated for 6 inches by the pipe manufacturer. So, can I offset the double wall stove pipe if I remain at least 6 inches from a combustible or do I need to go directly vertical and keep a 15.5 inch distance all the way up to the ceiling? The purpose of this is to get closer to the corner so I can frame less space upstairs.

Thanks

Yes, you can have an offset in the double-wall connector pipe as long as the pipe gets no closer than 6" to the nearest combustible, which sounds like it may be the drywall. However, it doesn't hurt to exceed this minimum clearance spec by a bit if you can. Be sure to leave enough distance for the ceiling support box trim ceiling trim too. It looks a little awkward when crammed right into the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.