1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help with a hearth.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by execute.method, Nov 30, 2012.

1. execute.method

execute.method New Member

Loc:
    Middle Tennessee
    I am going to be building a hearth for my Oslo to sit on, and I want to over engineer thinking ahead to the future (in case I get a different stove that needs a higher R value).

The installation is on the first floor with wood floor joists and 3/4 decking.

I am planning the layers as such:
    1. Micore
    2. steel
    3. Durock 1/2"
    4. thinset
    5. tile

I found these panels that someone linked to @ tractor supply: [​IMG]

They are micore with steel over them and an R value of 1.5.
    I would like to use them instead of 2 seperate layers (micore then sheet metal).

My question is, will it matter if the seam for this is under the stove? My hearth is going to be 72"wide X 60", so I will also have a durock seam under the stove.

Should I seal the seams with something? If so, what?

Also, can I use the cut off from this panel to fashion a blockoff plate (existing masonry chimney), or would the micore not be good that close to the flue?

Thanks in advance.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If you can get micore locally I think you can skip the metal layer. But your plan of using the premade pads for underlayment might work. Maybe flip them over so the Durock is applied to the smooth backside. Screw down every 8".