Help with a hearth.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I am going to be building a hearth for my Oslo to sit on, and I want to over engineer thinking ahead to the future (in case I get a different stove that needs a higher R value).

The installation is on the first floor with wood floor joists and 3/4 decking.

I am planning the layers as such:
1. Micore
2. steel
3. Durock 1/2"
4. thinset
5. tile

I found these panels that someone linked to @ tractor supply:
$(KGrHqR,!oQFBZ707,CPBQfEMq6Nzw~~60_35.JPG

They are micore with steel over them and an R value of 1.5.
I would like to use them instead of 2 seperate layers (micore then sheet metal).

My question is, will it matter if the seam for this is under the stove? My hearth is going to be 72"wide X 60", so I will also have a durock seam under the stove.

Should I seal the seams with something? If so, what?

Also, can I use the cut off from this panel to fashion a blockoff plate (existing masonry chimney), or would the micore not be good that close to the flue?

Thanks in advance.

If you can get micore locally I think you can skip the metal layer. But your plan of using the premade pads for underlayment might work. Maybe flip them over so the Durock is applied to the smooth backside. Screw down every 8".

Status
Not open for further replies.