Help with a Ningbo Grace Pellet Insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chken, I tried your suggestion and turned up the air to stock settings 113 in this case. I am getting several ambers flying around with a low flame. How many ambers are normal?

Ihatepropane, The house is 1800 sq ft. The room where the heater is in is about 16 x 24. We have to keep it about 80 for heat to get to other rooms but that is usually a struggle. Until I started turning down the comb air. We was able then to hold 77 pretty easy.

Thanks again all you have been a great help.
Small embers floating is normal. You actually want it like that. Flying pellets out of the pot is too much air, but floating small bits, as they burn down in size and become embers is normal.

So, factory setting on air is 113? And, you've been running the air down in the 70s and 80s? And, you're at elevation, 2000ft? I'd have guessed you should be running combustion air above the base factory setting.

I am running the stove on high and the tstat gives me the correct reading. I see a eco light when on low and that does not light up. What feed setting would I need for close to max?

I am going through 1 bag a day. I have it set to feed for 4 seconds every 4 seconds. The burn pot is 4-6 inches deep. When the comb air is at 113 my flame may come out of the burn pot an inch or so. It may spike on occassion to four inches outta the pot.
1 bag a day equals about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being the lowest setting and 5 the highest. That's 1 and 2/3rds lbs an hour, or about 13k btus, for a 44k btu stove. The lowest setting probably is around 9k btus, and you're just barely above that.

Your feed rate 4 on, 4 off, sounds like a 4 on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 the highest. I originally guessed that should equal about a 4 lb an hour rate, or about 32k btus. It seems strange that that rate should equal 13k btus.

You should get someone who has some experience with pellet stoves to look at yours. I get the feeling that your stove still needs to up the air. While your stove design generally has short flames, some stoves like mine have tall flames. When I'm on low, my flame can be just barely above the pot, but when I'm on high, my flame goes all the way to the top of the window, as in my avatar, or at least 15". It still sounds to me like you are keeping the flame far too low.

Thanks for the reply.

The vent size is a flexible 3 inch pipe that is about 4 feet long. It connects to a 8 inch pipe that was an existing chimney. The length of the 8 inch pipe is around 10-12 feet. I just hooked up the OAK today. I am currently running the stove on a p1 setting which is suppose to be high ( It is set to feed for 4 seconds every 5 seconds). Once the thermostat is happy it is suppose to drop to p4 which is the low settings ( feeds 2 seconds every 8 seconds). The digital panel is in Celsius and I can adjust the convection blower and the heat blower. Current setting for P1 Convection is set to 100 and Heat at 165. I have no reference to what unit of measure that stands for (I am guessing maybe cfm?). I will attach some pictures of it fired up once I do a cleaning and I have a good base to start from.

Thank you for the help.
I suppose I should read your posts more carefully. The Power settings, which basically control the feed augur rate, seem backward to me, are you sure P1 is high and P4 is low? I think virtually every other stove here, is the opposite!

The way the thermostat is supposed to work, sounds right.

As for the two fans, the room fan might be CFM, but the combustion fan is not. If you have the stove on high, which is what your P1 implies, then I'd set your room fan on its highest CFM to get as much heat into the room as possible, but that's me. As for the combustion fan, you stated above that the factory setting is 113, but you've turned it to 100? As I've stated before, given your elevation, I'd have guessed you need to turn the combustion fan above the factory setting to achieve good combustion. Also, turn it up all the way to find out what the maximum range is, and look at the flame as you do so. The flame should be sharp, active, and yellowish-white. Pellets should dance in the bottom but not fly out.

When I first got my stove, my flame looked good when starting a burn but after 16 hrs, it would lazy up. Eventually, I found the sweet spot, which required turning up the air, quite a lot more than I expected. Now, I can run as long as I want and the flame looks as good 30hrs in as it does in the 1st hour.

I am running the stove on high and the tstat gives me the correct reading. I see a eco light when on low and that does not light up. What feed setting would I need for close to max?
As I mentioned before 4 on 4 off should be close to max. There might be one setting higher to give you your max rate of 44k btus an hr.

One thing for certain is you are not running any where near high. And the second thing which I am fairly certain is you need more air, not less.

I understand the stove is not running on hi. I do have the stove set to p1 Which is high for the user manual. I adjusted the feed for five off for 3. I have been monitoring Temps with a meat thermometer clipped on air vent. So far my best heat is around 106-108. At those settings I am still getting a very small flame that will occasionally reach over the pot.

I understand the stove is not running on hi. I do have the stove set to p1 Which is high for the user manual. I adjusted the feed for five off for 3. I have been monitoring Temps with a meat thermometer clipped on air vent. So far my best heat is around 106-108. At those settings I am still getting a very small flame that will occasionally reach over the pot.

Can you post the manual?

I am working on converting the manual to a pdf. I have turned the air up as suggested and now I am feeding for 5 every 3 seconds. I have gotten a little more heat and cleaner glass. I still dont have much flame on high it still barely reaches outta the pot, and it has not kicked down to low. My air temp is about about 220-250.

Status
Not open for further replies.