Help with a tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
I'm making tags for my wood racks, as my memory isn't as good as it use to be.....hmmm, what was I saying? Oh yes, tags.....I put up some wood this last summer from a small scrounge. Ended up being a lot of junk cuts, ugly pieces, but it helped a single older lady out so it was worth it.

Anyway, the tree had been down for several years so I didn't have leaves to go by, can you help? I'm guessing maple.

wood1.jpg

Not any Maple I'm familiar with.

What tree?

Big triangular, corky bark always screams cottonwood or even willow to me, but Iowa is a long way from NY so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Was there wet ground or water by the tree where it grew?

Matt

Bark looks like some Ash variety,color of end grain & split remind me of Siberian Elm.

Hmmmm....Do you remember if it was medium weight or quite heavy? The Siberian Elm I've removed around here was quite heavy when green or semi-dead,dried very fast & was much lighter afterwards.

It seemed VERY heavy at the time. It was very hot day and couldn't drive any where close...lol. It does seem pretty dense though. Definitely not cottonwood, as I've split over a full cord in the past year of that stuff.

The wood directly below the main one pictured is from the same tree. I don't think it's elm, as it split very straight, and compared to the elm I just split it was a breeze.

kind of looks like cherry on some of that but, the bark loooks to deeply furrowed and corky to be a cherry? Also had thoughs of hackberry, but appears to dark. Wish we could see the split better and bark better.

kind of looks like cherry on some of that but, the bark loooks to deeply furrowed and corky to be a cherry? Also had thoughs of hackberry, but appears to dark. Wish we could see the split better and bark better.

I will take a couple more pictures.

I know what it ain"t and it ain't ash. I've got green, white and blue ash by the cord and it ain't ash. But what it is, I don't know, but I'll vote for elm; either red or Siberian, neither of which I've cut but I do have 4 red elms on my properity and I did stay in a Holidat Inn Express.:p

To me the bark reminds me of Green Ash. The grain of the wood tells me no. Ash is closed grained and this looks to open. Green Ash is my favorite wood to burn for a good looking fire.

New pics
wood5.jpgwood6.jpg

looks like brown ash by the big grain. The same as you would make a pack basket out of.

Black (Brown) Ash. Mostly darker heartwood for same size piece compared to White or Green Ash

Thanks guys

It's Ash and like I've been saying you can always see a pinhole on the cut ends of Ash; magnify the picture and you'll see the "hole" in the center of the cutside on the first picture. I don't know if any other wood has this but I know Ash does...

Yes, I'll concur Black Ash.

With better pictures, I humbly stand corrected. Black ash it is. Wouldn't you know it, one of the only types of ash I don't have in my stacks. Sorry for the misleading I.D.;em

Status
Not open for further replies.