Help with chimney questions for new VC Resolute Aclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzr7ky

Minister of Fire
Jun 12, 2006
Hi -

I purchased a VC Resolute Acclaim.

I'm mounting in in the fireplace opening hearth. There's only masonry and steel underneath.

It is a masonry chimney with a steel Heatalator unit in it. 5' clearance in smoke shelf area.

Chimney is 10'6", and is a foot short on the 10-3-2 as it is only 24"from the nearest roof to top of flue tile. It is 10" square inside dimention square. Cleanout is good. Chimney is in good condition and clean. It is on an outside wall.

How much chimney do I need? Can I insulate the 316 liner and have a shorter chimney?

There is an aluminum chimney liner for the furnace in the adacent flue. Would that stack also need to be extended?

Yes - I'll be pulling a permit and talking to my retailer, but I'd like some enthusiast input. The retailer sells pools, outdoor furniture, etc....

Thanks,
Mike P

You will need to extend the chinney to get the proper hight per the 12/2/3 rule. That rule exists partly to prevent downdrafts from eddies ripping of your roof peak, dormer ect. Insulating wont fix that. But i would highly recommend insulating the liner reguardless.

Not to alarm a lot of posters here but that Alumium gas furnace liner may be only a 10 year warranty liner.
How old is it now?
Is it going to be in the same chase as you wood stove?

Have you read you manual particulary page 4

"For proper draft and good performance, any chimney
used with a Resolute Acclaim should extend at least 16’
(5m) above the flue collar of the stove."

I guess you need to extend your chimney well beyond the 10/3/2 code for it to have a chance of working. If you are using a 90 degree elbow then add another 5' to the run In spite of what your dealer may claim that is code.

If you have a mantel around your fireplace I also suggest you read the manual concerning those clearances as well

Also do not forget the metal damper block off plate. The reason you posted is to get sound advice.. The size of your existing fireplace liner requires a full approved linner as per cross-sectional codes.

Good luck I have had excellent luck the past 3 years with my Resolute Acclaim

Elk-

The pipe chases for the fireplace and the furnace are separate, with separate cleanouts.

Thanks - I missed that reference in the manual.

No mantel or other clearance issues.

Getting though the damper area still not solved but will have block off plate.

Thanks,
Mike P

Mike two right ways one not so right. The not so right is squashing the liner to get threw voids the liner's manfactures warranty

If you never plan to use the fire place again the cut out enough damper to get a full round liner threw
I use a thin metal cutting wheel in a 4" grinder some have used sawsalls some have used cutting tourches

The other approved method it to purchase round to oval back to round piece of liner used fro the damper pass threw
or round to ovel withan adapter to go from oval back to round again. It is also permissable to use round to oval liner all the way
but the oval liner has to equal and even better exceed the cross-sectional area of 6" round 28.25 "

Stoves draft better in round flues and without changes in sizes or directions

Hi-

I'm planning to do the 'squeezing' on the metal chimney shelf area; will have above mentioned pursuaders at hand.

Will talk with inspector late this week to get plan nailed down, mason lined up.

ATB,
Mike P

Hi -

Is there a good reason I wouldn't take a tourch, cut the damper area out of the steel heat-a-lator firebox, and run class A pipe up the inside of my 10" square ID tile flue?

This would avoid the cost and labor of adding 6" of brick chimney, then associated liner, and insulation. It also seems like it would be insulated and smoother inside for cleaning ease.

The local inspector is questioning putting any woodstove on any hearth. I pointed out that is complies with all the requirements for standoffs, there are no combustables under the hearth and he seemed placated.

What say the learned members?

I'm headed to pick up the VC Resolute Acclaim today, and will be discussing options for venting with by retailer.

Thanks,

Mike P

Bump -

Status
Not open for further replies.