Help with choosing a fireplace/stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tater1985

Jan 26, 2018
IN
First time poster here. Have done a little bit of reading on different topics here and there.

We have two traditional manufactured fireplaces in our home. They both have true stone masonry. Last week we has a small chimney fire that wound up causing a little damage in the attic. Luckly we caught it early.

Insurance and the GC had a chimney sweep come out to inspect the chimney pipe and firebox. He said that it would all have to be replaced.

Our options were to put in an insert, or knock out the back wall of the stone masonry (the ground level masonry totally encases the firebox) to gain access and remove old unit and replace with new.

So i have been looking at tons of different options, which can be overwhelming to say the least. I am certain that i would like some type of high efficiency unit that will produce good heat to help heat our home in the winter months.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Pics for reference.

First pic is fireplace in basement, the rest are upstairs living room fireplace.

20180116_200602.jpg 20171223_095155.jpg 20171121_190429.jpg 20171121_185338.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So after two days of reading enough to make my eyes bleed, i have learned a ton.

My fireplace is a zero clearance unit. The metal tag tells me its a Superior. Model is stamped as 38 on the metal tag. I could find nothing on model 38 from Superior.

I did however figure out that i am nearly certain this is a later model Superior Heatform. It is a bit different than the ones i have seen on here, but same concept.

I have no way to access the one that needs replaced or retrofitted with an insert, but the one in basement is identical and i got a couple pics of the back, sorry the air unit is in the way.

Looking for recommendations on a possible insert. I read all about cat vs non-cat yesterday. Like the idea of cat, just not the thought of cleaning and replacing the cat. Interior dimentions nearest i can tell are

33W
21H
24D

I will not be heating our entire house 24/7 with this, but would like to keep the ground level of 1800sft comfortable. The room its in (living room) is in center of ground level and is approx 20x25 (500sft) with cathedral ceilings.

I think the best one as far as effeciency and looks that i have found and believe may fit is made by Travis Industries (Lopi, FXT, Avalon) and its the Flush Wood Plus Medium insert.

Suggestions and thoughts welcome. Thanks.

206be884409a899bc5ea04af5e026ed9.jpg0a55ab1d943aec1654269ab06ca6ee25.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had a chimney fire in it and it is damaged there is no way to put an insert in it safely. It all needs to come out and get replaced. And if a sweep sugested an insert in it you should not let him in your house again he has no concern for your safety

If you had a chimney fire in it and it is damaged there is no way to put an insert in it safely. It all needs to come out and get replaced. And if a sweep sugested an insert in it you should not let him in your house again he has no concern for your safety
Please forgive my ignorance, as i stated i am in a learning curve here. Can you elaborate a little bit on how a chimney fire may compromise the integrity and safety of the fireplace itself? And are the inserts themselves not somewhat self contained? Or do they require a firebox that is in pretty much usable condition?

Please forgive my ignorance, as i stated i am in a learning curve here. Can you elaborate a little bit on how a chimney fire may compromise the integrity and safety of the fireplace itself? And are the inserts themselves not somewhat self contained? Or do they require a firebox that is in pretty much usable condition?

There are any number of ways that a fireplace could be comprimized in a fire. And your chimney fire became a structure fire. That tells me either the chimney was compromised or it was not installed correctly to begin with.

An insert is meant to be installed in a code compliant and fully functioning wood burning fireplace and nothing else. And i. Prefabs like yours the manufacturer of the fireplace needs to allow the insert to be installed in it and vice versa.