Help with hooking up stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman

Oct 16, 2013
Shenandoah County VA.
I bought a Jotul F602 to heat a pretty small area of my home. I recently had the chimney relined and now wanna hook up my stove. Is it as easy as purchasing the elbow and stove pipe and just hooking them together? Any help would help..thanks

It can be that easy, it can also be a pain. Do you have a 6" crimped end to connect to at the wall/ceiling? If so then yes. If older components were used sometimes a little creativity can be needed to retrofit to the older chimney. I would suggest getting high quality connector pipe such as simpson or metal-fab, the home depot stuff is flimsy at best and corrodes too quickly for my tastes. You'll love that 602, they're great little stoves for small areas and just look super cool!

Is the stove sitting in a fireplace chimney that you had relined?

Or was this a standing chimney where there is a liner run down, with a "T" on the bottom?

If there's a T, coming into the thimble then you should be good to go with stove pipe.

If it's just a liner dropped down into a fireplace, then you'll need a stove connector for that liner, any angles that may be necessary, etc.

What kind of liner was installed?

Some pics of what you are working with could be very helpful.

Welcome to the site!

pen

There is a T- coming into the thimble,, the chimney was used with a woodstove by the previous owners. I had the chimney relined becuase the chimney was so old and I didnt want to risk any isssues with the new stove I bought..

Measure the flue collar diameter. You may need a 125mm to 6" adapter to connect the stove.

I don't know any online retailers, I've always worked in fireplace stores since... I was old enough to work. I'd look into local fireplace shops if you can because if a warranty issue does happen to come up, local dealers will generally take care of you so you don't have to box it up and send it to wherever you bought it and hope for the best. Sometimes saving $50 can cost you more than you saved imho

Thanks will go down to ACME next week.. now needa find more wood so I can get it up and burning

Edit that to read "more WELL SEASONED WOOD so I can get it up and burning"
man
Anything less than that and you'll be disappointed as your burning experience (heat which is what you are after) the ability to control the stove easily, and keeping the flue clean will be compromised.

If you aren't sure you have on hand what you need, it's worth a few bucks to look into buying some man stove fuel (eco blocks, bio bricks, etc).

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.