Help with indoor wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Magsii

Sep 22, 2020
Virginia
I am wanting to install an indoor wood furnace into my basement. My chimney has a thimble at the first floor where I have a wood stove, the thimble in the basement currently has a oil furnace connected to it. The heat exchanger recently cracked on the oil furnace so I am wanting to put a wood furnace since my firewood is free. However, the people that built the chimney did not leave any room below the thimble. The thimble is directly at the bottom of the chimney across from the clean out door. Does this create a problem since I want a wood burning furnace? Would I just have to clean out the bottom of the chimney very often? Any help would be appreciated, I live in a 120 year old house that’s 2300 square feet so the one wood stove won’t cut it this winter and I hate heating with oil. Would this be okay to install or what should I do? Thanks

Sounds to me like that would work fine...might need to clean it out more often if anything...but have you had the chimney inspected lately...is it worthy of being used for a wood burning chimney?
Will your insurance company let you have a wood furnace as your primary (only?) heater?
Also, what are your plans for a furnace...been shopping yet?

I can't visualize what you are describing. Might be me. Got a pic?

You would need to make sure all cleanout accesses are closed up tight, or your draft will get killed. Also would need to make sure your whole chimney is in good health, top to bottom.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Sounds to me like that would work fine...might need to clean it out more often if anything...but have you had the chimney inspected lately...is it worthy of being used for a wood burning chimney?
Will your insurance company let you have a wood furnace as your primary (only?) heater?
Also, what are your plans for a furnace...been shopping yet?
The chimney was built 10 years ago and is very well built as opposed to the other chimneys in the house that were built in 1900. It’s just the thimble in the basement that I was worried about. And as far as furnaces, I’m trying to find one that doesn’t have the epa new features. I’ve read a lot of bad things about them and would rather try an old school approach

So you are buying used then?

Just curious what these bad things are that you read about? (other than the one model that should certainly be avoided at all costs)
"EPA" wood furnaces have only existed since 2017 by the way...only so many of them out there...

My 'EPA' furnace works great and I get so much heat out of my firewood when compared to the old unit I cut my teeth on in my parent's house. Is there a learning curve, sure. Do you need good dry seasoned fire wood. Absolutely. But when that thing is burning clean with lots of heat and no visible smoke it is really a beautiful thing!
If your chimney is masonry you might need to line it, at least with a modern furnace.

Pictures would really help. In Canada, you are no longer allowed to have two wood burning appliances sharing the same flue. You could buy a wood add on furnace, connected to your existing oil furnace and just use the blower to circulate the heat. I would recommend to have the system inspected by a chimney sweep first.