Help with installing woodstove to existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trixigirl

Nov 6, 2016
Gansevoort, NY
I bought a new wood stove...Blaze King Princess and it had recommended me to install double wall stove pipe. I looked at the pipe coming from the existing interior chimney where I had my last wood stove and decided to change out the pipe coming through the wall. Well, I opened up the brick and broke out the terra cotta lining and saw that the lining was sitting on drywall. Basically someone cut a hole in the drywall to place the terra cotta lining on it (with single wall pipe inside the length of interior wall, of course...pardon sarcasm) Is this safe? Where do I go from here? Do I install a wall thimble? Or what? Help me please..lol Pictures are coming in a second..new to forum.

Picture of new hole in brick I made today

Attachments

• 20161106_152856.jpg
    20161106_152856.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 146
Ya that doesn't look right. Plus new stoves require a stainless liner to be put into your chimney to operate correctly!

I would also assume studs aren't too far away since theirs drywall there.

Reactions: jatoxico
You really should have a stainless 6" liner in the chimney for that BK. I would remove the clay thimble and replace it with a piece of class A chimney pipe, Then reline with an insulated SS liner.

Or another option would be this.
They work fine but if you ever use the olympia one you will never want to use any others. They are that much easier.

You really should have a stainless 6" liner in the chimney for that BK. I would remove the clay thimble and replace it with a piece of class A chimney pipe, Then reline with an insulated SS liner.
Hi webby,
Could we put a piece of class a pipe thru the wall to existing flue? It's in excellent shape and drafts very well. It's an interior chimney that has drafted really good in the past. I am glad that we took the old one out it was a bit scary.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Could we put a piece of class a pipe thru the wall to existing flue?
Yes if you had room but you do not.

It's in excellent shape and drafts very well. It's an interior chimney that has drafted really good in the past. I am glad that we took the old one out it was a bit scary.
Another thing to chack is do you have the required 2" of clearance from the outside of the masonry structure to any combustible material? If not you should really be looking at doing a liner as well.

That goes for the original poster as well

The sheet rock was holding the terra cotta wall thimble and then the studs are within a few inches of the hole.
Yes you will need to remove those studs and restructure if need be. Are the studs also in contact with the outside of the chimney structure?

Reactions: webby3650
The wall stud is about an inch from the hole. I don't know if you can see but the stud is right there.

Attachments

• IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 102
The wall stud is about an inch from the hole. I don't know if you can see but the stud is right there.
Yeah that will need to move. And it is in contact with the outside of your chimney as well. That tells me there is probably allot more wood touching it which means you should have an insulated liner as well. as a wall pass thru

We got about 2 inches from the wall stud to chimney.
ok it didnt look like that. If you can confirm you have that clearance the whole way up you are good as far as that clearance requirement goes.

Yeah that will need to move. And it is in contact with the outside of your chimney as well. That tells me there is probably allot more wood touching it which means you should have an insulated liner as well. as a wall pass thru
It is probably easier to go straight up the ceiling at this point...did not think that this wall was so bad since we've been using a Dutchwest for awhile now.

It is probably easier to go straight up the ceiling at this point...did not think that this wall was so bad since we've been using a Dutchwest for awhile now.
unfortunately it is all to common.

Unless you've had a bad flue fire you wouldn't likely ever notice an issue. The only real symptom of an issue is a house fire...

Status
Not open for further replies.