help with moving a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Question on moving a large heavy stove. How are you guys moving them around. I'm planning on buying one and am trying to figure the best way to get the 250- 300 pound monster in the back of my truck. I thinking about using a couple of 2x8 and a come along, try and drag it up the boards with out hurting it. I'm also trying to figure out what to tie off on in my truck bed that wont bend, dent, or break. Any thoughts on moving stoves? Thanks for the help.
Mark

Rent an appliance dolly (like they use to move fridges). Remove the door and any other items that can be removed easily (firebrick, but number them so you remember how they go back in).

Good luck.

My son and I moved my intrepid II from Conn to Pa in my pickup, Granted its not a huge beast but we had 3 guys load it and used a bunch of blankets and tie downs. I was concerned about craking the cast or chipping the enamel but all went well. just be sure its strapped super tight and cushioned. I think my stove only weighs about 225 lbs.

myzamboni said:
Rent an appliance dolly (like they use to move fridges). Remove the door and any other items that can be removed easily (firebrick, but number them so you remember how they go back in).
Good luck.

What he said- plus rent or borrow a small flatbed trailer with a ramp gate. If you have a good dolly and a fairly strong back it's amazing how easy it is to move very heavy loads. Stairs are the deal killer- even a short flight of stairs up or down is the difference between needing two people and needing 4 people.

My neighbor and I moved our stoves with those straps that go around your arms and under the appliance. Now you're lifting with your legs still heavy but easier on the bod. btw he say you can get them at U Haul dealers now.

One thing to avoid is trying to slide the stove if it has cast iron legs. Its easy to set up a vibration in the legs and snap them off. Not an issue with a steel stove.

I recently bought a used pellet stove about 4 hours south of our home. Although it was heavy, the former owner and I just lifted it into the truck (apparently, it was 378 lbs). When I got home, I didn't have any help so I used a retired climbing rope for rigging (doubled up at each leg) and an engine hoist to lift it out and onto the ground. Then, I made a wooden base frame that fit a hand truck (dolly) and the base of the stove. To secure it to the dolly, I used tie down straps and cotton towels.

If I didn't own a truck or the tools, I would have rented a truck with a lift gate, as suggested.

I sold our wood stove to a friend, did the same thing in reverse and helped him move it to his house.

A piano or furniture dolly works great. Just strap the stove to the dolly and you have 4 wheels under the thing to move around with. Even if you want to use that come-a-long, it will work easy. But two guys with the load on a furniture dolly makes for easy work.

btw, we used a furniture dolly for getting our 500 lb. stove up on the porch and then into the house and it was easy. I even unloaded it from the trailer by myself!

A stove that weight should be easy for 2 people to move and doable for 1 with the right equipment. A decent hand truck, some boards, some 1" PVC pipe to roll or slide it on....easy peasy.

Do yourself a favor and just rent a U-haul truck with a ramp. Also get a dolly and all your troubles are solved. A three man job becomes a one man job. This is what I did....all by myself..I backed the truck up on the lawn, extended the ramp right into the front doorway and then I just rolled the stove into place. I removed doors, ash pan and grate to reduce weight. Cost me about $50 total.

Backwoods Savage said:
A piano or furniture dolly works great. Just strap the stove to the dolly and you have 4 wheels under the thing to move around with. Even if you want to use that come-a-long, it will work easy. But two guys with the load on a furniture dolly makes for easy work.

btw, we used a furniture dolly for getting our 500 lb. stove up on the porch and then into the house and it was easy. I even unloaded it from the trailer by myself!

Moved mine the same way, strapped to a furniture dolly. Rolled it to the hearth and 3 of us lifted it off the dolly and set it down. That was 500 lbs. The 250 lb stoves are easy to move with a heavy hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.