Help with Pacific Energy FP-30 Installation Issue - Alternatives?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KC2004

Nov 25, 2020
Kansas City
First, I really appreciate this forum as it pointed me to the FP-30 fireplace. I could use your help after running into an installation issue:

Background: We are finishing our basment and installing a zero clearance woodburing fireplace. When we originally built our home, we had class A chimney pipe run down to the basment past our gas fireplace on the main floor so it needed to be offset over to the side of the chimney. In the basement it drops down into a concrete alcove where the woodburning fireplace will go. Due to the existing 6" class A pipe being offset in the chimney, we need to connect the fireplace using two 30 degree elbows. The problem we are running into with the FP-30 is that it requires a 36" straight pipe out of the top of the fireplace for non-masonry chimneys before the first elbow. (PE says a 12" straight pipe is okay for masonry chimney's due to the thermal properties and absorption of heat, which makes sense but still seems strange). Apparently they are concerned with failure of the elbow if it is less than 36" above the top of the stove. This does not give us enough height left to angle over to the existing class A pipe. We could do it with a 24" straight pipe and then the first elbow but the installer won't sign off on using a 24" pipe since PE says this would be outside of their specs which I understand.

Couple of questions:

1.) Any idea on if there is 6" class A chimney pipe that is built more substantial than others which may mitigate this risk and possibly allow us to install the FP-30 or if there is flexible Class A chimney pipe which could work after the 36" straight pipe?

2.) We really like the design of the FP-30 as a non-catalytic model plus the blower kit to push air up to the main floor if we wanted to. I'm curious if the forum members could suggest any other models you would recommend similar to the FP-30 which use 6" class A pipe that have a nice blower kit available as well?

I'm tempted to order the FP-30 and just install it myself with a 24" straight pipe and take the risk since it seems minimal but also don't want to put our home and family at risk due to increased fire hazard.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas!

-Brian

Last edited:
Is the alcove that tight for stove fitment, that you can't line it up with the existing pipe in the chase?
Yes, existing pipe comes down about 8 inches away from the left side of the alcove. Never thought to question it when the builder put it in this way since it had to come down in this location. If we did it over, we would make the alcove larger but it is the size it is due to the bump out for the existing chase which was sized for the gas fireplace above and the pipe coming down next to it.

Did you ask for clarification if its 3' straight up from the firebox or 3' from the top of the zero clearance box? It must be close to 18" difference in the 2 spots. If its from the firebox you may make the required 3' ??

Yes, confirmed it’s from the top of the stove. Good thought though. One option I’m considering is looking for some sort of heat sink/way to dissipate heat from the elbow section since they say a 12” pipe is fine for a masonry chimney.
I’ve found these : Stove Pipe Radiator Rings

7162276B-CAC8-4DE1-B849-95A0AD5F5B83.jpeg

I think the concern might be the same for most fireplaces. What type of chimney pipe is there now? Excel chimney pipe has a better extended high-temp rating than some chimney pipes. If all else fails, would a freestanding stove in an alcove be an option?