Help with Smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbsweeney

Dec 25, 2008
virginia
help! when I open the door of our woodstove black smoke starts billowing out. It seems to be working ok but for that although its not getting above 350-400. This just started yesterday - we have been running it for a few months now and it was new last year. Its a side load Jotul so we are concerned.??? any advice?

time to take a peek at the flue , as a quick indicator , take a flashlight out and a pair of binoc's if you have em , and look closely at your chimney cap to see if its started getting plugged up (the screens can get that way) if you see any blockage get it cleaned off and check the flue soon as you can , if the chimney is fouled you will have issues such as you described.

As usual listen to Mike.... :)
With warmer temps the next couple of days (at least where I live..) this is a great time to get up there and look at the cap or go for a quick cleaning. If you code allows it I might also think about cutting the screen right off (the pros and cons of this were discussed in a post last week). I took both of screens right off but I plan on covering them back in the off season so birds, squirrels, bees, etc won't get in.. Scrub that screen like crazy until she's shiny again if you plan of keeping the creosote catcher in :)
Ok, OK I know.... if I always burned really good seasoned wood I would not have that problem...I know, I know :cheese:

mb,

How is your possible flue and screen cleaning coming! Your mention of a "few months" of successful burns was a clue.

Let us know. Thanks and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.