Help with St Croix furnace auger mystery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsirois

Jun 14, 2008
Amherst, NH
I have a "new to me" St Croix SCF-050 furnace. It ran in my garage for a day to make sure that it worked fine...had no issues. Moved it to the basement, got it all hooked up and started it. It ran fine for a solid 12h at various settings. It was running on the lowest setting (setting 1) and at some point, the auger jammed and everything stopped. I ended up having to pull the auger motor (and it was quite a struggle) and was amazed at what I found. Have any of you seen this before and have an explanation for it? It looks liked a bunch of fuzed/burnt pellets that were at the tip of the auger. Would it really get that hot at the end of the auger to create this if the auger was stopped/jammed?

photo.JPG

I gave the pellet chute a good scrubbing....it needed it, but I couldn't really see anything that could have caused the formation of this "thing". I guess my concern is that the pellets in the auger caught on fire, but I just cannot imagine how that could happen unless the auger was stopped for some other reason and the pellets just smoldered.

Status
Not open for further replies.