Q&A Help with Surdiac Coal Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just bought a house with a Surdiac 513 Gotha Coal Stove that was manufactured in 1980. I am learning how to operate it by reading your forum, thank you. I am wondering how hot my stove should be. Should I get steam from a kettle of water on top of the stove? I have been burning the stove for about 6 days now non stop. This is my first time using a stove so any information regarding clearing the ashes, refueling, etc. will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Answer:

This is a convection stove, so the top will not usually be hot enough to boil water. It still may add some humidity, but not much.

There is a guide to european coal stoves us at: www.hearth.com/what/hopperfed.html

Status
Not open for further replies.