Help with wood insert selection.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Buzzsawboy

Nov 25, 2018
Central Michigan
Hello and thanks in advance to anyone offering advice. My wife and I are in the process of a fireplace update and are trying to decide on a wood insert. Our local shop sells Napolean, Jotul, Regency, Quadrafire, Regency, Lopi, Vermont Castings and even a few more. They recommended a Vermont Castings Montpelier (non epa2020) to us today that they have in stock. I can't seem to find very much on this stove other than a few bad reviews. Quite frankly I couldn't find very many reviews period that were newer on any stove. Were looking to heat our home about 1400sq ft ranch with whatever we get. Does anyone have any good experience with this particular stove or should we look at another brand. Would love to burn at least a 18" log if not even a 20" seeing how I currently have around 11 cord cut and seasoned around 18". Again thanks in advance for any insight.
20191204_202727.jpg
34" Wide at front

30" H at front

25.5" deep (18.25" height this depth)

20.75" w at rear

*At 18" depth height is no issue and width is 26.5"

I can't help you with insert sizing, but personally I'd stay away from VC stoves. There were too many years of warranty issues and fragile/complicated designs. I understand things are better there now, but I'd still be nervous.

I can't help you with insert sizing, but personally I'd stay away from VC stoves. There were too many years of warranty issues and fragile/complicated designs. I understand things are better there now, but I'd still be nervous.
Thank you. I'm gonna inquire about the quadrafire voyager I think. Only downside is I'll probably end up with a 2020 compliant model now.

While you decide, get your wood put up. Newer stoves and inserts like dry wood.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Only downside is I'll probably end up with a 2020 compliant model now.
That's not necessarily a bad thing...just means that you need to feed it wood that is DRY (not "seasoned") and it should burn clean...

While you decide, get your wood put up. Newer stoves and inserts like dry wood.
I have just over 11 cord that's been cut and seasoning for almost 2 years. Was going to get an owb but were going with an insert for now. My only big mistake is cutting it all to 18" length instead of 16". I've still got 13 bundle of uncut hardwood slabs to cut that's been sitting over 2 years so hopefully I can get it cut up and stacked soon for next winter.

I have just over 11 cord that's been cut and seasoning for almost 2 years.
Cut, split, and stacked? (CSS) That's when it really starts to dry...even better if it is CSS with a top (only) cover on it, and in a sunny/breezy spot...makes for some nice firewood!

Cut, split, and stacked? (CSS) That's when it really starts to dry...even better if it is CSS with a top (only) cover on it in a sunny/breezy spot...makes for some nice firewood!
Everything that wasnt slab was split. Majority is hardwood slabs buzzed down to 18" length. All off the ground stacked drying no cover.

Thank you. I'm gonna inquire about the quadrafire voyager I think. Only downside is I'll probably end up with a 2020 compliant model now.
Learn about the changes in whatever 2020 model you consider. Some are small and some others are major and dramatically affect the way the stove runs.

Well I ended up ordering the Lopi Medium Flush Hybrid Fyre and am having it installed February 10th. Built a small rack to move some wood in the garage and a moister meter this weekend. Split some various size pieces and tested in the middle. Most was between 16% and 18% with the highest being 20% all oak slabs that have been cut and stacked for about 1.5 years. First time burning wood. Cant wait.

Attachments

• 20200103_223227.jpg
    20200103_223227.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 20200104_192020.jpg
    20200104_192020.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 161
Good choice. Keep us posted with questions and install results. Keep in mind those splits, while oak, are not real thick so they might not have the staying power of say a 6" piece. I only say that to be careful not to create an inferno with lots of slabs (that have lots of surface area) in a hot box.

Still you look well prepared to stay warm and happy this winter.

Good choice. Keep us posted with questions and install results. Keep in mind those splits, while oak, are not real thick so they might not have the staying power of say a 6" piece. I only say that to be careful not to create an inferno with lots of slabs (that have lots of surface area) in a hot box.

Still you look well prepared to stay warm and happy this winter.
Would splitting the slabs benefit me any and help prevent over firing or should I just mix in some rounds?

Splitting the slabs in half will make them burn faster and hotter. Rounds take much longer to season all the way through than split wood, so you will need to use your judgment. If the rounds sizzle and bubble on the ends they are not fully seasoned.

No, do not split them further. What you have is fine in my opinion. Just watch them initially to learn how fast the wood takes off, how hot it burns and how long it lasts. With that much surface area a hot stove could take off pretty quickly. Conversely, a cool stove could shut down quicker since there are not deep coals, or the wood pieces do not stack as close to each other - strangely enough that slows down their burn pattern by duplicating the heat forms.

All I can say is I have bought my Vermont Castings Montpelier in 2013. Still operates like new, Looks great, and provides great heat.
My chimney was notorious for downdraft. However once I got the hang of starting the fire it is great. No problems or issues of any kind from the insert. I clean my glass with Rutland cream to keep it looking perfect.