1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help with wood stove insert question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by wrosson, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrosson

wrosson New Member

I have a 1983 Vermont Castings insert (for wood burning in my fireplace) and have misplaced the cord. Any ideas on whether these are easy to replace with a generic cord vs. getting a cord through the manufacturer...this is a way outdated insert now.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. My_3_Girls

My_3_Girls Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Hiya,

I had exactly the same problem, and found (by accident) that the 2003 cords and the 1983 cords are the same. I picked up a used 044 insert, 1983 mark across the inside of the center of the unit, and suffered for a year without the cord. I was in a VC store, and saw the cord on a new display unit. I begged to be able to buy that one, but I ended up having to order it. It was like day and night. I also added a generic cordless remote shut-off to the cord, and then tried a plug in lamp dimmer. The dimmer worked great, I ended up with a variable speed fan!
  3. kd460

kd460 Feeling the Heat

Great idea about the remote and the dimmer! Just be carefull (aware) of how many watts the dimmer is rated for and how many watts the blower draws. I would hate to see the switch over heat from to much wattage being drawn thru it. KD
  4. wrosson

wrosson New Member

You guys are great and I really, really appreciate your responses! I hoped I had found the right place for answers, finally when I started checking the archives of different questions and now I know I was right.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.