Hemlock Down!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Things went great with this one,picture 4359 was my first cut, made a deep v cut in the top then came from the bottom, the hemlock just dropped(no back pressure which was different) we pulled the hemlock so far with the first pull then it got stuck on a hump,picture 4360 was my second cut (did it the same) again no back pressure... the hemlock dropped on the trail this time, I jumped in the green truck then started going until it came down. Picture 4365 are the two other hemlocks that came down behind the hung up hemlock.

Left the biggest hemlock for milling then bucked up the rest for next years shoulder season wood.

Limbed up the tres with the 390, did all the bucking and dropping of the hung up hemlock with the 660 with the 28 inch bar,took a small ride up top, attached are some pictures.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4358.jpg
    100_4358.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_4359.jpg
    100_4359.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_4360.jpg
    100_4360.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_4361.jpg
    100_4361.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_4364.jpg
    100_4364.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 100_4365.jpg
    100_4365.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_4370.jpg
    100_4370.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 226
Zap, I notice you are using the truck more than the winch this year.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I notice you are using the truck more than the winch this year.

I think this was to heavy for the rhino and the winch, we did have the old winch on the back of the rhino if we decided to use it. I was also worried that if we used the winch with the extra cable we would have snapped it, this also gave us a chance to use the green truck.

zap

Truck is faster & stronger!
You are having way to much fun. :)
Looking safe & looking good.

bogydave said:
Truck is faster & stronger!
You are having way to much fun. :)
Looking safe & looking good.

I think we left some rust in the woods after some of those pulls, the last time we used it pulling down a tree I broke a brake line, that was a fun drive home.

zap

Cool Zap

I was wondering how well it would come down surrounded by all those small trees.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Cool Zap

I was wondering how well it would come down surrounded by all those small trees.

Billy

That was the bad part about it, I had to cut on the low side of the hill. Our plan was to get a chain around it (double wrapped :) worked great) get some tension on the chain with the truck then cut from the backside so the tree only had one direction to go.

Like smokin would say hang in the pocket it a little longer, chit the wife was happy I still could run some once the tree started to go but like I said it dropped straight down.

About a week ago I cut that Sugar Maple that was just like the Hemlock but had all sorts of back pressure, it just shows that every tree is different and your guess on how a tree wil act is just that.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.