Hemlock Milled Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I had a late start today, had a call from my aunt in North Carolina so we talked for a good 45 minutes.

I ended up milling four one inch boards along with one three inch slab for the coffee table, attached are some pics.

First time milling with the 075 Stihl. 100_5016.JPG100_5017.JPG100_5019.JPG100_5020.JPG100_5022.JPG100_5023.JPG100_5024.JPG

zap

How did the saw perform zap?

Good but it did not seem to oil like the 660, I used the pump option so it received more oil. Is that normal on the 075.

zap

I have a vid but my youtube account won't let me in.

Zap, Is there a reason to mount the jig on your saw one way or another? Looks like the stuff on the granberg site has their stuff mounted so the saw rides higher than the cut whereas yours would ride lower (given the pic with the jig mounted on your saw). Is there a reason for it or is it just personal preference? Thnx.

Zap, Is there a reason to mount the jig on your saw one way or another? Looks like the stuff on the granberg site has their stuff mounted so the saw rides higher than the cut whereas yours would ride lower (given the pic with the jig mounted on your saw). Is there a reason for it or is it just personal preference? Thnx.
The other way is better for clearance but I like it the way I have it, it's a righty,lefty thing. I tried it the other way after a member pointed it out last summer but it never felt good.

When I played baseball I batted left and through with my right arm, go figure.

zap

not sure about the oiling issue, Zap. Boards look great, neat seeing that 075 with the mill on it. I know that the 051's did not get the oil very good on the big bars, that's why the 075 and 076's came with an additional manual oiler. I saw in another post you said about running canola oil for your bars.......how does that work out for you? May have to try that for my felling.

The other way is better for clearance but I like it the way I have it, it's a righty,lefty thing. I tried it the other way after a member pointed it out last summer but it never felt good.

When I played baseball I batted left and through with my right arm, go figure.

zap
Far out.. Thanks for the answer.. Considering getting one of those myself.. guess I'll have to get a bigger saw though.. I should buy the mill first and then explain to the wife why I need to drop a grand on a new saw.. ;)

Scotty Overkill; the Canola Oil works great. (smokin gave me the idea) When I'm milling with the 660 I'm use to filling the gas & oil but today after two boards (8.5 feet long) I filled the gas but the oil was only down about 1/4 from full.

Tomorrow I'll look at the bar that came with the 075 then compare it to the new 36 inch bar, maybe I need to drill another hole in the new bar.

zap

Far out.. Thanks for the answer.. Considering getting one of those myself.. guess I'll have to get a bigger saw though.. I should buy the mill first and then explain to the wife why I need to drop a grand on a new saw.. ;)
Make sure you put a hi-lift jack on your shopping list along with a good Oregon sharpener so you save money on all the chains you'll need. This all started for us when the wife said she would like a cabin, so yes it's her fault! :eek:

zap

Reactions: ScotO
Nice slab for the table Zap, that would've looked good on my bar instead of the pine I glued together.

Make sure you put a hi-lift jack on your shopping list along with a good Oregon sharpener so you save money on all the chains you'll need. This all started for us when the wife said she would like a cabin, so yes it's her fault! :eek:

zap
Got the 510a last year from Oregon. Still working out the details of how to get it to work just right as there are small adjustments that need to be made between grinding left and right cutters. I was thinking that a small caliper would work to measure each cutter to ensure that I'm grinding them equally. Will add the hi-lift jack to the list. I guess I'll also start putting pictures of cabins on the fridge for the subliminal message..

Got the 510a last year from Oregon. Still working out the details of how to get it to work just right as there are small adjustments that need to be made between grinding left and right cutters. I was thinking that a small caliper would work to measure each cutter to ensure that I'm grinding them equally. Will add the hi-lift jack to the list. I guess I'll also start putting pictures of cabins on the fridge for the subliminal message..
Once your stops are set right it should be the same every time. Other than the frount taps for tooth adjustments. Oh Zap, Now your talking!

The 075 is 111 cc compared to 91 on the 660. The 075 is about 6000 rpm's (off the top of my head) the 660 is around 13,000 rpm's. Saturday was the first time behind the 075, it will be used along with the 660.

Even though I only used it once it might become my favorite, the 090 is waiting it's turn, can't wait until I bust that out.

zap

zap..got any pics of the stuff u have made from ur milled boards?

Nothing yet, we have been milling in hopes of building a cabin so most of the milled wood is for that. Later this fall some pine boards I milled last year will be used for shelves in a storage area.

That Hemlock I milled for the coffee table has ring shake (crack) down the middle so the coffee table might get switched to white pine.

zap

The 075 is 111 cc compared to 91 on the 660. The 075 is about 6000 rpm's (off the top of my head) the 660 is around 13,000 rpm's. Saturday was the first time behind the 075, it will be used along with the 660.

Even though I only used it once it might become my favorite, the 090 is waiting it's turn, can't wait until I bust that out.

zap

Right - thats why I was wondering if they would be fairly close. Old skool big CC's vs. less cc's but screaming.

Jags, I never noticed until just now but in picture number one it looks like a small cherry over the trail hung up.

zap

Jags, I never noticed until just now but in picture number one it looks like a small cherry over the trail hung up.

zap
It sure does. GIBIR

Nice. every time I see your posts makes me want to try it my self. It would be cool to make a table or something. Cant wait to see the 090. Glad that you like your new toys.

Nice. every time I see your posts makes me want to try it my self. It would be cool to make a table or something. Cant wait to see the 090. Glad that you like your new toys.
If I get the oiler holes taken care of on the new 36 inch bar for the older saws(drilling to make the wholes bigger or new ones) you will see the 090 this weekend.

zap

In the first pic you have a something on the log. This is befor you made your first cut. What does it do?

The rails explained in the above vid.
zap

nice, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.