1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hemlock

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by skinnykid, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skinnykid

skinnykid New Member

Loc:
    Next to a lake in NH
    So I have ALOT of Hemlock to go with my hardwoods for next winter and probably some of the winter after.

Question is, This hemlock has been a bugger. Big heavy rounds to haul home and split, bark everywhere.

Now I see that my hardwood is starting to crack and dry while the Hemlock still looks the same. Also, is Hemlock worth the work?

I mean I know it is soft but will it do us fine during these NH winters? Should I take it if more is coming?

P.s. the Hemlock is stacked with the hardwoods so all the same variables.

thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Hemlock is about 60% of oak in btu ratings. If you have better hardwoods available thats where I would put my effort.
  3. joshlaugh

joshlaugh New Member

Loc:
    Granville, Ohio
    Is it free? Do you have access to other better hardwoods? Depending on how many cords I have socked away determines if I take softer woods. Although I hate to pass up on any free wood.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    It makes good campfire wood.
  5. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    +1 on that!
  6. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    1) Pine and Fir will not crack and check like hardwoods no matter how dry they are.

2) No one can answer the "is it worth it?" question FOR you.

3) Yes it will burn - even during the NH winter

4) With the exception of cottonwood I take every free and convenient stick of firewood I can.
  7. skinnykid

skinnykid New Member

Loc:
    Next to a lake in NH
    That is pretty much my deal, it was all free and there was alot of it. Like I said, just hope it will keep up with the demand for heat we may need.
    If this winter is anything like last, it is gonna be cold!
  8. cmonSTART

cmonSTART Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    I have a bunch of pine and hemlock too. I'll dry it and burn it in the shoulder season.
  9. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    +2 . . . right now I'm slowly working/helping on clearing a lot for a fire pond. The wood is free (good), but access to the wood is a bit of a challenge due to the terrain so as a result I'm being a bit pickier on what wood I take and what wood I throw on to the brush pile or leave for others to cut. Also, I think I'm set for this year's wood and even some of next year's so I can afford to be a bit choosier . . . but at the same time I try not to discriminate too much . . . if there is a tree in the way I'll take it down and cut it up anyways since free is free.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.