Here comes the cold - Minus 27 in Montana

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bridgerman

Hearth Supporter
Hi Guys,

Get the stove ready...I hear the weather is heading east. It was -27 with no wind chill here in Bozeman, MT. I am running my Waterford wood burning stove flat out. It was 75 in the house when I went to bed and 50 degrees this morning. I have my ThermGuards running for 3 minutes every two hours to keep my pipes from freezing at these temperatures. Everybody stay warm!

Cheers,
John

spent a winter there about 60 miles north of Billings, in a 3/4 built log home.

I'll work on that!

bridgerman said:
I'll work on that!

thats what we where there for it was late nov. and the furnace wasnt in ant the wood stove went in frist we burnt are way through that weather wasnt a scrape piece of nothing, finnish late January

smokinjay said:
bridgerman said:
I'll work on that!

thats what we where there for it was late nov. and the furnace wasnt in ant the wood stove went in frist we burnt are way through that weather wasnt a scrape piece of nothing, finnish late January

I had hundreds of bark beetle killed lodgepole pines on my property. I couldn't get them all down myself, so I had a guy with a skidder come up and just take them away (I asked him to leave 6 cords for me). They were a terrible fire hazard. I would (wood) be set for life if I kept them all for burning. I have a nice supply set up now and I am going through it without concern....just keeping warm.

Winter is what we plan for all year
and love! Besides my wife...

Bring it on!

It is very cold here right now for these parts. -7 C, which must be something like 18 F or 19 F for the imperial crowd. I have that same smugness that all woodburners have in this weather too. It's very cold outside and pushing the envelope for being too hot on the inside!

Nice and cold! Only 19 f here this morning with 6" fresh snow and snowing steady. Forcasting 12 to 18 " by later today. House is 68 this morning but the hot tub is a toasty 101 f.

Got to -8F here in NE WY. Got the stove in end of last week, just in time for the fun, I mean cold weather. Supposed to be -14F tonite, working on my bed of coals as I write. The little Englander 13NCP(found out the P stands for Pedestal), is working as advertised, had a frozen pex pipe in the back bathroom this morning, turned on the forced air furnace fan to recirculate and all good. Time for two more logs, bye!

It's a toasty -32 °C here right now. Stove is eating logs at a rate that a chipper would have a hard time to beat. Just for fun, I turned the NG furnace off night before last to see if the stove would keep the house warm overnight. Woke up to 19 °C and tossed a few more splits in - all good. I just wanted to know if it could be done in case we ever lose power. Keep warm everyone.

Yes, the cold is expected to reach us by Friday for sure but it will have moderated a lot passing over the Great Lakes. No below zero expected here yet. Hopefully not until January. No, make that February. No, maybe March...

-35 celcius in North Saskatchewan this morning....Woodstove is cranked but still had to use furnace in morning just to take chill off.

Yes, I realize it's coming this way, but nothing like that. Thursday 12-3, I was outside splitting with a t-shirt, a record high for that day.

This weekend we are heading to northern Vermont for the first ski weekend, single digits at night and maybe 20ish for the high. That going to be a little shocker.

Coldest weekend in a long time, I am taking off, that means that damned oil burner will be running.

KC

iskiatomic said:
Yes, I realize it's coming this way, but nothing like that. Thursday 12-3, I was outside splitting with a t-shirt, a record high for that day.

This weekend we are heading to northern Vermont for the first ski weekend, single digits at night and maybe 20ish for the high. That going to be a little shocker.

Coldest weekend in a long time, I am taking off, that means that damned oil burner will be running.

KC
I'd consider staying home if that's going to be the case! :cheese:

After the blizzard goes by tonight and tomorrow, it's supposed to get colder but not too bad. Forecast is for -5°F next few nights. The wind is supposed to be 45mph for a day or two though and that's the worst part (well that, and the foot and a half of fresh snow).

They call that the "BigHorn Express"???? I did not realize it got that cold in Bozeman. I thought you were in the Montana Banana Belt. Leave those temps to Butte, they deserve it.

We are experiencing the middle section of the storm, single digit lows and 20's for highs. Just south of the Northern winds and North of the Southern winds. That won't last, we are going to get our payback.

I’d consider staying home if that’s going to be the case!

As much as I hate paying for oil, I figure 1 tank lasts a year. (275 gallons) That's for my DHW as well, in a poorly insulated house.

Insulation project in the spring.

KC

Minus 23 here at 9:50 pm and temps are falling. I love my Blaze King.
Is your stove a Ashling Waterford?? I just took one out.

littlesmokey said:
They call that the "BigHorn Express"???? I did not realize it got that cold in Bozeman. I thought you were in the Montana Banana Belt. Leave those temps to Butte, they deserve it.

We are experiencing the middle section of the storm, single digit lows and 20's for highs. Just south of the Northern winds and North of the Southern winds. That won't last, we are going to get our payback.

The coldest I saw here was -36F while I was taking the kids to school. I have lived here for 15 years and the schools have never closed for weather. I think we get significantly colder than Butte. Cold is the great equalizer here in Montana. Whether Butte deserves the cold or not, we are all the same when shivering!

stihltheone said:

Yup, it is an Ashling. I really love the stove. One of the best features of my house. I ran the stack 2.5 stories up then through the roof. I get a lot of heat from the stack as well as the stove.

I just hope everyone's chimneys are good and clean. When it gets frigid here, the news becomes nothing but chimney fires.

pen

bridgerman said:
stihltheone said:

Yup, it is an Ashling. I really love the stove. One of the best features of my house. I ran the stack 2.5 stories up then through the roof. I get a lot of heat from the stack as well as the stove.
Hey Bridgerman
Know anyone that would like my Waterford? Is is green and ready to go back to work. Good stove, I just changed to a blaze king to match my king in the shop. Thanks

Hmmmmm. Classic Green Waterford..... Don't have one of them. What part of Wyoming???? Damn, single digits for temp, If I-90 isn't closed it should be. All of Idaho's snow will be blowing across you in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.