Here We Go Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened?, someone shut down that flow in the Atlantic? How low is the record low? Don't say it's short pants & short sleeves weather!

Going to 0F. The last time it was single digits here in March was March, 1878.

And if you above the 60th parallel than it's believable

Not anymore, went there to build an airport terminal….froze my….off & left when the job was done. Try bolting together steel railings in -55 when you need your gloves off so you can feel if you have cross threaded the thing. No fun & no volunteers from the crew either, can't say I blame them.

The coldest I've experienced here was -38F about 7 years ago. We lost power then and I didn't have a stove and the house was only 3/4 insulated at the time and I was building it myself. The house temp was only 55 to start with and it dropped fast from there. I went outside to try and start the truck, it hurt just to breathe it seemed! The truck turned over but the gas wouldn't ignite. That was here on the 47th P.

I'd imagine they have quite the redundancy in their heating systems.

After the stint in the eastern arctic I can honestly say the carrot would have to be awfully large to get me to go to the Antarctic. Yes plenty of parts on hand, no wood there, well maybe some petrified wood, nothing for a stove though.

Look on the bright side. Those temps sure beat being in the Antarctic in June, July & August.

Now you know why I turned down the transfer to the Antarctic. ;lol

In fact I was advised at the oil company that the statement on my career interest papers could hurt my career. "I have no interest in living in the Middle East or North of the Mason Dixon line. Will travel there."

I don't think I'd be going into work when it's -73... Nope, not! And if you above the 60th parallel then it's believable, yes!
I sympathize with Brother Bart. Our average winter lows are just 3 degrees below his own, so very similar. But... -73, whether F or C, is just inhumane temperature. I don't think I've experienced anything even remotely near that. We start whining when it hits zero, and that only happens a few times each year.

Funny thing is my 1995 Suburban has a block heater in it just because it was sitting on the lot with every option they had then. On a lot in Texas. ;lol

It has never been plugged in so now it would probably just burn the truck to the ground.

Reactions: Ashful
Yes, it's what your used to and set up for. The East has made the news again for their tough times and toughness in the face of another storm! It sucks to be you! Maybe we can be lucky and have such a nice winter again next year? ;) Add on: the first time I used my newly installed block heater this winter it was so cold that the power cord cracked open and shorted it out! Ha! Just my luck sometimes I guess!

Funny thing is my 1995 Suburban has a block heater in it just because it was sitting on the lot with every option they had then. On a lot in Texas. ;lol

It has never been plugged in so now it would probably just burn the truck to the ground.
I have a block heater in my 2004 Dodge gasser... put it in when I bought it, thinking it might help get the windshield defroster going a few minutes quicker on frozen mornings, but it didn't seem to make much difference. It hasn't been used since 04/05, but I did consider plugging it in a few nights this winter.

On the plus side, I was just out to fetch some wood, and it's a beautiful night! Doesn't even feel very cold, thanks to the wind finally dying down. Felt much worse yesterday, and it was in the teens! NOAA predicted low of 2F tonight. How're you lower than us, Bart?

12 and chill of 2 at the moment. Sunup ain't gonna be comfortable. Bout to hit the sack and deal with it then. The 30 has a belly full of oak and we will see. I let the place cool down too much burning down coals for the night load.

I'm just relieved to hear that the ice didn't cause tons of power outages. This cold will pass, hopefully soon for you all.

It's easier to run the stove for myself when it's colder out. I'll have gobs of coals to easily start the next load and the fresh splits start right off the get go with little or no adjustment of the air. Like right now, I just put two Maple splits in. That's enough for now as it's only 4 above, not too cold for here. I don't want to overheat the place.

001.JPG

Ok, this is how you know it's been Too Much Winter:

OUR LABRADOR RETRIEVER IS OVER IT.

You know it's been too cold for too long when THE LABRADOR RETRIEVER doesn't want to go outside- even though he's bored bored bored in the house.

Can we count this one as March roaring in like a lion? Please?

Reactions: woodgeek
And for a brief moment today it got up to sixty around two pm. Sixty today with snow still on the ground in spots and then down to four degrees tomorrow night is beyond words.
Me and you both BB.

My road was a glass sheet from all of this. Just far south enough not to get snow, just far north enough for it to freeze.

I would rather have 10 feet of snow a year than to deal with freezing rain......BLAH

.ice sucks for us because we're out in the sticks, the frozen, icy sticks that fall on the power lines.

Around here you don't have to be in the sticks to have those falling on power lines (and across major roads, and through roofs, etc).

Yes, ice is bad! At times I've seen it so bad that people would ice skate down the streets and the sand trucks would have to back over there own sand just to get the cars on the freeways going again. I run snow tires up here in the winter and they are studable but the only way I can stud them legally is to get a Saturday job at the Post Office or be a 1st responder. I'd love to have them studded to deal with the hills just in my driveway that I can't get up with the car at times from ice.

Last edited:
Yes,mice is bad! At times I've seen it so bad that people would ice skate down the streets and the sand trucks would have to back over there own sand just to get the cars on the freeways going again.

That is a lot of mice! !!!

Reactions: Ashful
My trip in this morning was a bit micey as well . . . but then it turned to freezing Mickeys . . . and now just rain. :)

At least we don't have to deal with the foggy Murine Layers they get out in San Fran.

Status
Not open for further replies.