1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Here's my stack for winter

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by andybaker, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andybaker

andybaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest OH
    I should be set for winter. Not sure quite how much is there but I know how much I go through. The darker stuff is for this winter and the new is for next. Wish I had more room, but when your in the city you can only do so much. The small pile in front is from I downed Hickory I came across. Anyone else done getting wood? I know, that's a stupid question, as soon as I start going through it more will come my way and I'll just fill in where I empty it. This time I'll be more picky and try to get some of the harder woods like Oak, Locust, and Mulberry. This winter I'm looking forward to experimenting with top down fires. Has anyone used this method to start fires in an EPA stove/insert?

andybaker :)

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      264.5 KB
      Views:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. trapshooter9

trapshooter9 New Member

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    That is an impressive looking stack. Top down fires do work well. It doesn't seem like it should but it does. You can experiment with it now if you build a camp fire or a fire in your grill (I no longer use charcoal but use firewood instead).
  3. Archie

Archie Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    You have a very understanding wife. :)
  4. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    What do you mean you don't have room? Empty the pool and fill 'er up with wood.

You need to get your priorities straight!
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah. His wife is like mine. She understands "warm".

I start my fires top down. Won't ever go back to any other way. As to being "done". I am working on four years out. When I get that done, I am done.
  6. WOODBUTCHER

WOODBUTCHER Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pomfret, CT
    Nice stack of "Pool Side BTU's" And yep, my woods been ready since Jan, working on next years now.

WoodButcher
  7. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    If I stacked that you all know exactly where it would end up...impressive stack of wood andy.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Andy, that is very nice. Now you need to start heating he pool water with wood too.
  9. drdoct

drdoct Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    I was thinking the same thing. I can't seem to stack or have anyone stack anything for me that doesn't fall over. Those are nice looking stacks.
  10. habsfan70

habsfan70 New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    nice looking stack
  11. Apprentice_GM

Apprentice_GM Member

Loc:
    Central Coast, NSW, Australia
    +1.

Switched a year ago and won't look back. Find they are better (for me) for these reasons:
    1) Creates a draft more quickly.
    2) By placing heavy splits at bottom you can light and not need to re-load for the first cycle.
    3) As we only burn at nights it is an advantage to have large pieces on bottom that won't catch alight from warm coals, so we can build the fire in the morning or afternoon, then light in evening. If we build a fire the other way, with kindling on bottom, it can catch alight if we build before late afternoon.
    4) I find it quicker and easier to build with less technique - you can just throw the splits in, medium sticks on top then a handful of kindling without worrying about airflow and pockets etc because the flame is at the top with plenty of air all the time.
    5) Less smoke. The only time my fire smokes is the first few minutes and with top-down fires it is even less smokey than the other method.

Strongly recommend top-down fires!! :)
  12. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I wonder if anyone out there with a downdraft boiler is succesful with the top down starting? I tend to think it wouldn't work as well only because in a downdraft boiler you need the coals around the nozzle to get good gassification. Anyone out there try it? Sure sounds a lot easier if it would work!
  13. Skier76

Skier76 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT and SoVT
    Very nice stacks!

Another top down convert. It works flawlessly in our outdoor firepit. In the stove, I modify it just a bit: I'll put a few knots of paper between the big splits to help things get going once the flames start to move down.
  14. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    I was thinking the same thing. Be a couple of days before I do another fire, might try it. I'm assuming if it was better, one of the guys on this site would be doing it. The only thought I got is that you need the coals on the bottom to gassify, take a little longer to achieve that, but maybe not.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.