Hi all. I'm looking for recommendations on a top loading wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdInPNW

Nov 14, 2020
Oregon
Growing up my best friends parents had a top loading wood stove and I absolutely loved it. I've wanted one ever since. I recently purchased a house and it used to have a wood stove. The pipe is just plugged up and I want to put one in. I haven't used a stove in 15 years but I love heat from a fire and would love to get one in this winter. It seems top loaders are pretty niche and can only find a couple doing some google searching.

So I thought I'd come here and ask you experts if you had any advice and recommendations. The house is 2400 sq ft and pretty drafty. Built in the 20s but solid. Lots of work getting it livable it was ignored for the last few years but my family wants to be warm this winter. My wife gets cold so easily. I'm assuming there's obviously going to be pros and cons to any unit but wanted to get a discussion started on what you guys think about top loaders and what models are out there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I believe in OR it is illegal to sell or install a pre-EPA stove. Check with the local regulatory authority. A 40 yr old stove of this complexity is not going to be without issues. Parts are getting rare.
Consider dropping the top-load requirement. It really isn't necessary. A modern stove is going to burn a lot cleaner, consuming less wood and it will provide you with a nice fireview.

I believe in OR it is illegal to sell or install a pre-EPA stove. Check with the local regulatory authority. A 40 yr old stove of this complexity is not going to be without issues. Parts are getting rare.
Consider dropping the top-load requirement. It really isn't necessary. A modern stove is going to burn a lot cleaner, consuming less wood and it will provide you with a nice fireview.

Ah okay thanks for the info. Yeah it would be much easier to drop the top load but for some reason, maybe just nostalgia, I really want that feature. My best bet might to just go to a store and talk to them about what my options are. I've been eyeing the Vermont Castings Defiant. Its spendy but its gorgeous and I want that sucker in my living room haha!

Ah okay thanks for the info. Yeah it would be much easier to drop the top load but for some reason, maybe just nostalgia, I really want that feature. My best bet might to just go to a store and talk to them about what my options are. I've been eyeing the Vermont Castings Defiant. Its spendy but its gorgeous and I want that sucker in my living room haha!
It is also very expensive and complicated to maintain. And generally takes allot of maintenance.

I had the original VC Resolute and loved that stove, but I bought it new in 1979 so there were no issues to contend with. For a long time I only wanted a top-loader to replace it, but since owning some good front loaders I have dropped that as a prerequisite. If you are looking used, try to find a Quadrafire Isle Royale. It's a modern stove, no longer in production, but a top-loading heating beast that looks stunning too. Moderator Jags still runs one.

I had the original Resolute and loved that stove, but I bought it new in 1979 so there were no issues to contend with. For a long time I only wanted a top-loader to replace it, but since owning some good front loaders I have dropped that as a prerequisite. If you are looking used, try to find a Quadrafire Isle Royale. It's a modern stove, no longer in production, but a top-loading heating beast that looks stunning too. Moderator Jags still runs one.
I did come across some stuff about that one while looking around online. Think my chances of finding one are about zero though.

If the old Vigilant has no cracks, inside and out, and the bypass plate is not warped and working properly, then it may be worth looking at. The thermostat mechanism also needs to be working freely and properly. Normally at this age the secondary passages are full of ash and need to be cleaned out too. We have an old VC forum here that can help you network with other owners.