Hickory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
20140408_181743.jpg

Attachments

• 20140408_181743.jpg
    20140408_181743.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 123
Doesn't look like any of the only 2 types of hickory, shag bark and bitter nut, I've processed.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Looks a lot like black cherry. Does it smell sweet?

Reactions: Jon1270 and nrford
Yellowish color? Hedge or mulberry maybe

Cherry.
Pic taken near sunset (or sunrise) making it look more yellow/orange.

Cherry. Although somewhat similar in appearance to black birch, black birch doesn't plate up at that diameter. It usually is smooth up to a foot or more.

Reactions: nrford
I have lots of cherry, this is different. Idk though there were Hickory leaves around it that's why I thought it was.

Definitely cherry, black birch is a bit different, my yard is loaded with both so I've learned the difference between the two, not bad but not as good as hickory.

Cherry it is then ! Thanks.

I think it is Black Cherry. The bark, the reddish heartwood, the lighter sapwood all indicate cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.