High density vs regular gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AaronMColeman

Aug 22, 2018
Wyoming
I just bought a new house that has a BK princess insert. The gasket was shot.

I replaced with a Rutledge 7/8” gasket.

I didn’t know about high density gaskets when I replaced it. Can I just kee using the one I installed or will it be a problem?

Does the BK need high density? If so why? What’s the difference?

If the Princess needs a high density gasket then that is what should have been used. Modern stoves are finely tuned. Any air leakage past the door gasket can lead to poor burning control and possibly premature cat failure. When in doubt always go with the OEM gasket.

The manual doesn’t say high density. It just says BK 7/8” gasket. But I’ve seen on here (since replacing it) that the BK is high density.

I’ll get the right one, but it’s hard to find online and no local dealers.

I guess my question is, is the regular one a problem to use until then? Seals nice and tight.

You could try it with a close eye on performance and control. For a new gasket call up BK tech support and ask them to send one out to you.

FWIW, I went through the same thing with our stove. The new Rutland gasket looked good and passed the dollar bill test, but it was obvious that the stove was getting too much air once I lit a fire in it. I limped with this for a week, but was not happy with the way the stove was burning. Then I tried a Meeco gold high density gasket from the local stove shop. That one was too stiff and it also leaked too much air, worse than the Rutland. I tore that out after just one fire and replaced it with an OEM gasket. This has worked perfectly.

Last edited: