High-End Running Temperature (Regency F3100)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OntarioWinter

Feb 21, 2011
Ontario CA
Just purchased a Regency F3100 Woodstove after 25 years of burning a Reverso smoke dragon. I only ever used a flue pipe thermometer on the old stove and ran the stove at an average of about 450-500 degrees (as per the flue pipe thermometer). I will be purchasing a stove top thermometer for the Regency in order to get a better idea of actual running temperature, but since I have no previous comparison I was wondering what higher-end temperature would be safe to run the stove at (I like to burn hot as the stove is the primary heat source in a 3 storey 2500 sq ft and the stove is in the basement).

The Regency manual does not allude to any specifc max/overfire temperature but states that if any part glows you know you're overfiring. I've never had any issues with overfiring or at least to the extent of having stove parts glow but then again I've never had any experience with EPA stoves so I'm not sure what to expect.

So I guess to make a long story short my question is what/is there a temperature that I can consistently burn at in the high end range and what tempurature would constitute approaching overfire in said stove.

I've run up to around 800°F on the stove top on the Summit. I would assume the F3100 is built nice and heavy like the Summit, so you should be okay going that high.

Oh hi,

I am new summit owner. I am little confused about temperature readings. If I put the thermometer above the door I get 650 on a good burn( using oak ) however the stove top reads 450ish. Have you ever measured the above door temp when the top reads 800?

(born in Winnipeg, now Santa Cruz mtns...we got snow this week!)

Thanks

I have the smaller version F1100, I usually like keep my stove top temp below 700 °F. The baffle inside above the stove door starts to glow red hot around that temp. The fire box is small so it usually will not stay at a high temp for an extended period.

nodtmf said:
Oh hi,

I am new summit owner. I am little confused about temperature readings. If I put the thermometer above the door I get 650 on a good burn( using oak ) however the stove top reads 450ish. Have you ever measured the above door temp when the top reads 800?

(born in Winnipeg, now Santa Cruz mtns...we got snow this week!)

Thanks

I've never tried it above the door. I'll try it in the coming days and report.
We got about 1/8" of snow this week, too.

nodtmf, I tried putting one of my magnetic thermos on the front corner (no room "above" the door).
The temps on the front face are generally 200 F cooler. Right now top= 670, front is 470.

Status
Not open for further replies.