high flame or low flame more efficient?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTAnnie

Oct 21, 2010
New England
We just had a Jotul Sebago installed yesterday and now that I sit here looking at this lovely stove I'm wondering what the best way to use this is, in order to keep propane use to a minimum. Is it better to set it to a high flame so it heats the house/area quickly and shuts off, or is it better to keep a low, more constant steady flame that doesn't shut off as often? Also, we have been using a propane forced hot air system prior to this (still have it). Is one system more efficient than the other? The main reason we got the stove it to have heat during a power outage, but I'd love to use it as a main source of heat if it's as efficient or more efficient than the central heat system. We have an incredibly well insulated small home.

low flame i guess, constant, 80% eff & probly same as furnace if its not vented with pvc pipe & what type of gas furnace.....just guessing....heat distribution plays a game....lotta factors involved

Status
Not open for further replies.