High Quality Snow Shovel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I shovel a lot. My buildings are at funny angles and I have walk ways that I can't get with the plow or the tractor. This is my favorite shovel:

http://www.uniontools.com/products/...=1884&SubFamilyId=405&FamilyId=399&LineId=398

It's not to big so you don't kill your self when it's full and it has a long handle which is great if your tall or simply don't like bending over. If they had one in the same configuration that was plastic I would give it a look to avoid the sticking snow issue but that really is only an issue a couple of times a year. A little wax fixes the problem if you are proactive.

I've used all kinds of different shovels, the bigger grain scoops, pushers/scoops what have you and this is the best IMHO.

I just bought a new one, the last one was about 15 years old and still useable but was getting worn.

K

Wovel ! I do the entire drive with it, and only start the blower when over 8 inches.
I saw it first on the old Hearth.net forum when it was first invented by I believe a relation of Craig's ?? I only added a metal edge made of predrilled steel from outside corner sheetrock bead bent flat over the edge. It has served me well since 2007 and was one of the first ones designed. I got it back when they were 50 bucks! They are now $139.
They hold twice as much as a shovel and no strain is put on the back lifting. The thin wheel goes right through piles of snow as if it wasn't there. I thought it would work best with light fluffy snow, but that doesn't fly as far as heavier snow with more weight to it. It makes a better projectile. It rarely sticks.
http://www.wovel.com/tour/what-is-wovel.aspx

It was mentioned that if you keep a plastic one cold the snow will stick less to it....not so for me. I keep my shovel outdoors and snow was sticking until I opened a can of car wax and gave it a good coat...problem solved.

So I ended up ordering these from snowplow.com. They get good reviews and are supposed to be pretty durable. We will see. I still want to get a grain type shovel.

Attachments

• 28 snowplow.jpg
    28 snowplow.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 185
  • dominator.jpg
    dominator.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 167
Another grain shovel user.

I use a Garant Grizzly (pro) series, made in Canada. Gotta watch it though, Garant has some cheaper lines that are out of china with cheaper, thinner, aluminum. I have 2 of the Grizzly shovels, one is over 15 years old, and still fine.

Sounds like we're going to get some more shovel practice in a few days. 14" predicted for Sunday night / Monday.

So I ended up ordering these from snowplow.com. They get good reviews and are supposed to be pretty durable. We will see. I still want to get a grain type shovel.

You are going to like those.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.